Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Officials discuss plans for MSU construction

The pending demolition of Spartan Village Apartments and an on-campus parking garage as well as the potential creation of MSU regional transit center and reconstruction of major roadways were discussed at the University Council meeting Tuesday afternoon.

Council members discussed the projects as potential changes to the Campus Master Plan, which is scheduled for an update in 2011.

MSU Provost Kim Wilcox said the Campus Master Plan was created to help the university remain consistent with federal guidelines while making it easy for students and faculty to make the most out of campus facilities. The plan, which was created 10 years ago to guide long-term development on MSU’s campus, is revisited every five years to make adjustments and updates, said Steve Troost, MSU’s campus planner.

The council didn’t meet quorum to endorse the draft, but it will be presented to MSU’s Board of Trustees at its December meeting.

“Even though the board ultimately acts on this, day-to-day we are dealing with new projects and ideas that we need to be cognitive of,” Troost said. “The ink never dries on campus planning.”

MSU’s Division of Residential and Hospitality Services is planning a phased approach to the demolition of Spartan Village Apartments in 2017 because the buildings have exceeded their projected lifespan, he said.

Parking garage No. 2, located on Auditorium Road behind Bessey Hall, also is scheduled
to face demolition in the near future because of old age and escalating maintenance costs, Troost said.

Because the area surrounding the ramp has a history of heavy pedestrian traffic, it also is a safety hazard to those commuting on foot and bicycle.

The building is standing on a flood plain, so the university is planning on converting the area into green space following the demolition, Troost said.

Also included in the draft is the development of a multimodal transit center, which would include a new train and bus station that would allow students and other residents to access the Canadian National Railroad and Amtrak Blue Water Line.

“Our train station needs to be better,” Troost said. “It’s a regional gateway.”

Although the university has not yet found proper funding for the project, officials are working with the city of East Lansing and Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, to develop a plan for action.

Troost also discussed plans to reconstruct major roadways on the east side of campus.

The draft includes plans to reconstruct the traffic circle on Bogue Street and Shaw Lane into a more traditional traffic signal-regulated intersection with enhanced pedestrian safety — an effort to reduce traffic accidents in No. 1 problem area on campus, Troost said.

He also said the university would like to extend Wilson Road out to Hagadorn Road to help move traffic more smoothly through the area.

Share and discuss “Officials discuss plans for MSU construction ” on social media.