Details of athlete arrests surface

Photo by Cathleen | and Cathleen The State News

What might have started as a leisurely night of drinking for two MSU football players ended with a police chase, a Taser-charge to the back and a night in jail.

Junior tight end Brian Linthicum and freshman linebacker Max Bullough were arrested at about 1:45 a.m. Thursday in Aspen, Colo., after Linthicum allegedly assaulted a man in a downtown Aspen bar, Aspen Police records specialist Cathleen Treacy said.

After Linthicum allegedly punched Benjamin Nichols — a man in his mid- to late-20s from London, England — a call was made from the bar to the Aspen Police, Aspen police Sgt. Chip Seamans said.

Seamans said when the officers responded to the call and when they arrived on the scene, they saw Linthicum and Bullough outside the bar.

Neither was cooperative when the officers approached them.

“We were dispatched there because we got a call saying there was an assault at a local bar,” Seamans said.

“When the officers contacted the men outside the bar, (Linthicum and Bullough) tried to run away.”
While chasing Linthicum and Bullough, one of the officers shot Linthicum in the back with a Taser
to subdue him, Treacy said.

Treacy said according to the police report, the officer elected to use his Taser because of Linthicum’s 6-foot-5-inch, 230-pound frame.

“(Linthicum) was running and the officer was chasing him,” Treacy said.

“(The officer) would not be able to control or contain him. (Linthicum) was actively eluding the officer — that’s why he was Tased in the back.”

Linthicum, 23, is charged with third-degree assault and Bullough, 19, is charged with minor in possession of alcohol, Seamans said.

Both players also are facing charges of eluding police.

Lewandowski said Sunday the Athletics Department would not be able to comment on Linthicum and Bullough’s status with the team until football head coach Mark Dantonio addresses their arrests.

MSU Associate Athletics Director John Lewandowski could not be reached for comment Monday.
Linthicum and Bullough are scheduled to appear in Pitkin County Court in Aspen, Colo., on April 19, 11 days before the football team’s spring game.

The judge will determine whether or not the two will have to go back to Aspen in order to stand trial or if they can have the case moved to another court, Pitkin County Jail deputy Andrew Rushing said.

That decision will not be made until a later date.

Share and discuss “Details of athlete arrests surface” on social media.