Fray concert above average, quality vocals

If you walked into the Breslin Center Wednesday night, you might have thought you were at another Spartans basketball game.

But the cheers of “Go Green, Go White” and the clips from “300” weren’t part of a sporting event, rather The Fray’s latest visit to MSU.

Like most of today’s concerts, the crowd vivaciously threw its arms in the air, waving its cell phones to the song’s harmony. And, again, like there is at most concerts, there was that group of girls who drove everyone crazy. Sure, I could have been enjoying The Fray’s performance, but instead I was subjected to typical freshmen complaints about “dorm drama.”

Lucky for me, the music drowned the annoying girly fans who would have been more appropriate at a Jonas Brothers concert. The eclectic opening act of Nathaniel Rateliff and The Wheel sang with a vocal mix of Johnny Cash and Rod Stewart. But instead of taking the typical folksy route, the band members clearly were music fans of all sorts, with a variety of instruments including violins, standup bass and a synthesizer. The band’s music varied among folk, indie and at times a bit of reggae. The group delivered song after song, putting the audience into a frenzy; people couldn’t help but tap their feet or shake their heads.

Headliner The Fray entered the stage as “300” audio clips revved up the energy in the building while attendees rose to their feet, anticipating the opening performance “Over My Head.” Audience members were encouraged by front man Isaac Slade by shouting “This is Sparta.” The band knew how to pump up the crowd and it only supplemented its ability to perform.

The vocals were impressive, not only by Slade, but also by guitarist Joe King, who sang “Ungodly Hour,” rivaling Slade’s own performances. In fact, King’s performance could be considered a highlight, especially compared to the fact that Slade’s Gollum-like movements distracted my ability to pay attention to the songs. All the bending, crouching and arm movements were at times appropriate, but mostly annoying.

Slade, in his gray V-neck T-shirt and blue jeans, looked like every other Joe Schmo in the audience but it carried a sort of charm for him. Especially when he told the crowd he spent part of his day drinking coffee in MSU’s Botanical Gardens and complimented MSU’s beautiful campus, making him seem approachable, to an extent. If only the security guards weren’t there. Despite winning over the crowd with cheers for Spartans, The Fray won over listeners with their hit songs, brilliant melodies and amazing vocals.

Even a cover of Kanye West’s “Heartless” was impressive. Slade played tribute to West’s recent faux pas, saying, “This is for Taylor Swift,” referring to the MTV Video Music Awards outburst when West stole Swift’s microphone.

The concert certainly was above average, despite Slade’s awkward flailing. But maybe next time Slade should do us a favor and hand over the mic to King more often.

Share and discuss “Fray concert above average, quality vocals” on social media.