Pamela E. Spence

Recent Articles

MSU

Civil rights advocate to speak to U about activists of the 1960s

The Rev. Edwin King, a peace and civil rights activist will address an audience at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Auditorium. In his second trip to MSU since 1999, King’s address will be on “A Rumor of Freedom, A Rumor of War: The Mississippi Civil Rights Movement and Vietnam.” King, who teaches at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, also served as a chaplain and dean of students at Tougaloo College in Jackson, Miss.

MSU

Speaker discusses politics at heritage month kickoff

To Mike Kueh, hearing Shamina Singh speak was an amazing opportunity.Singh, former executive director of the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, addressed an informal group of about 30 students, including Kueh, on Saturday night in McDonel Hall at the kickoff for Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.Kueh, a telecommunication senior, said Singh’s address was a good way to get insight on how politics play a role in his community.“I think it just makes us better aware of where Asian Americans stand in the United States,” he said.Representation, unity and solidarity were all among issues addressed at the event, which was sponsored by the Coalition of Indian Undergraduate Students, the Asian and Pacific American Student Organization and the Residence Halls Association.Established by an executive order of former President Clinton in 1999, the initiative Singh worked in aimed to improve the quality of life of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders through increased participation in federal programs where they could be underserved, such as health, human services, education and labor.Singh said to her, the initiative was a promise against hate crimes and discrimination, and for due process and prosperity in the United States.“The signing of this executive order opened a door for our community,” she said.Throughout her speech Singh stressed giving Asian Americans a louder voice.“I think it’s time that we stand up,” she said.

MSU

U names holiday card winner

Stacy Rosenthal didn’t imagine her art homework would end up going out to 1,500 people.Rosenthal, a studio art senior, created the winning design for the Kellogg Center’s 8th annual MSU Holiday Card Contest.