MSU President Kevin Guskiewicz sent a campus-wide email Friday addressing "strong concerns regarding potential changes to federal laws, policies and regulations" enacted under President Donald Trump that could affect certain university programs and initiatives.
The email, cosigned by Interim Provost Thomas Jeitschko and Board of Trustees Chair Kelly Tebay, explained the university's plan to tackle possible changes.
"Last week, we set in motion a leadership response process to coordinate the careful and timely review and assessment of the emerging changes and to try to understand what they may mean for our students, faculty, staff and missions around research, teaching, and outreach and engagement," Guskiewicz said in the email. "These Rapid Response Teams are focusing on impacts on campus life, international students and scholars, research, teaching, and financial and tax policy implications."
The university has been planning for the new Trump administration since before his inauguration on Monday.
Last week, Guskiewicz told The State News that part of that plan included examining certain issues with a set of "tiger teams," a military term for groups with experts with different backgrounds who work together on specific problems.
In the latest email, Guskiewicz said the process will "tap into the expertise" of university leaders and stakeholders.
"MSU’s Government Relations office is actively monitoring developments at the federal level, working closely with appropriate leadership across the university and coordinating the Rapid Response Teams," the email said. "In addition, MSU will collaborate with its higher education partners, peer institutions and professional associations to thoughtfully engage with federal policy decision-makers in the coming weeks and months."
This update comes during a time rife with concerns that certain executive orders and policies signed by Trump would affect MSU’s ability to continue programs without interruption. Recently, MSU postponed a panel discussing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) days after Trump signed an executive order eliminating all DEI initiatives and policies within the federal government.
Research may also be impacted by Trump's plans. The email said the university is hearing of temporary pauses regarding research and funding, and noted that some decisions at the federal level may be delayed until new agency leadership is in place.
MSU Vice President for Research and Innovation Doug Gage sent a letter to impacted faculty and programs outlining details regarding the pause of communications from the National Institutes of Health and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
"The Office of Research and Innovation is participating in conversations with our partners at the Big Ten, AAU, APLU and COGR to obtain more insights into these administrative changes, while our colleagues in MSU Government Relations are proactively engaged at the federal level," Gage said in the letter.
Toward the end of the email, Guskiewicz acknowledged the uncertainty and concern many have been experiencing in light of recently announced executive orders, saying that the university remains committed to research and educational excellence, inclusivity and dialogue.
"And so, as the MSU community navigates these new waters and their potential impact on our campuses, we will move forward with purpose that has served this state and the world for nearly 170 years," the email said. "This will include working closely with policymakers, listening to stakeholders, strengthening our community and staying grounded in our core values and mission."
Support student media!
Please consider donating to The State News and help fund the future of journalism.
Discussion
Share and discuss “MSU assembling Rapid Response Teams to navigate policy changes under Trump ” on social media.