Friday, October 18, 2024

MSU men’s basketball experimenting with new roles

<p>MSU Head Coach Tom Izzo scowls following a sideline conference with Junior Guard Jaden Akins (3) during their game against Georgia Southern at the Jack Breslin Student Events Center on Nov. 28, 2023. Izzo's Spartan squad defeated Georgia Southern 86-55.</p>

MSU Head Coach Tom Izzo scowls following a sideline conference with Junior Guard Jaden Akins (3) during their game against Georgia Southern at the Jack Breslin Student Events Center on Nov. 28, 2023. Izzo's Spartan squad defeated Georgia Southern 86-55.

Seven freshmen, two sophomores, four juniors and three seniors make up the 2024-25 MSU men’s basketball team. 

With a younger roster, the season will be more experimental than in years past, mostly due to new roles for many players and four new schools in the Big Ten.

Senior guard Jaden Akins, the only four-year Spartan on the roster, has adjusted to being a primary leader alongside redshirt freshman guard Jeremy Fears Jr.

Many players have taken Breslin Center's court for the first time this offseason. A majority of returners are projected to see more minutes this season than last.

Head coach Tom Izzo, entering his 30th season on the job, said "everybody has a new opportunity" to play a different position this season, which has led to "taking a lot of different approaches."

Two players are returning from injury: sophomore forward Coen Carr and redshirt freshman guard Gehrig Normand. As freshmen last winter, Carr played in 35 games and averaged 3.1 points per game in 11 minutes. Normand redshirted and didn't play a minute all season.

Carr said he’s expanded his game and noticed higher energy from the entire team, which has led to more intensity. He said he’s improved his conditioning, expecting to play more minutes. After watching from the sidelines all last season, Normand said it was good to get back out on the court and the mental side of his game has translated well this offseason.

Senior center Szymon Zapala, a transfer from Longwood University, has one major goal for this season: learn from past failures. He said he wants to stay composed and not regret mistakes.

Another major change this season is the new Big Ten featuring USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington. In Izzo’s eyes, the new-look conference has give and take. He said playing these teams on the West Coast provides an opportunity to "connect to our people." However, Izzo thinks scheduling could be an issue.

For the past two seasons, Izzo has vocalized his dissatisfaction with his team's schedule, between short rest road trips and overall awkward layout.

"I don't like when the chance to win championships is going to be determined more by the schedule than the performance," Izzo said.

Freshman guard Jase Richardson, the son of MSU 2000 national champion Jason Richardson, was an impact player against Northern Michigan. Izzo said Jase Richardson has been shooting the ball well, getting stronger and working on his understanding the game more.

"If I look at him skill-wise, he might be ahead of where his dad was, which is pretty exciting figuring out how he turned out," Izzo said.

Sophomore forward Xavier Booker, a surefire starter this winter, said his game has started to "come together a lot more." Booker said he’s mainly worked on defense and rebounding, aspects Izzo wants team to improve in this season.

"Trust the process and be patient with everything," Booker said. "If something goes wrong, you just gotta push through it."

Share and discuss “MSU men’s basketball experimenting with new roles” on social media.