Sunday, October 13, 2024

MSU hockey rebounds with 4-3 win over Boston College, splits series

<p>MSU junior defenseman Matt Basgall (9) receives a pass from a teammate during a match at Munn Ice Arena on Oct. 11, 2024.</p>

MSU junior defenseman Matt Basgall (9) receives a pass from a teammate during a match at Munn Ice Arena on Oct. 11, 2024.

After being shut out in its home opener Friday, MSU hockey played night two of the Boston College series like a different team.

The Spartans were poised. They were patient in their passing. They didn't let go of pucks too soon or give up bad turnovers.

Above all else, MSU kept its composure and head on its shoulders to earn the result it hoped for.

After battling tooth and nail with the Eagles through 60 minutes, the Spartans pulled off a statement 4-3 victory over the No. 2-ranked team in the country and the 600th program win at Munn Ice Arena.

"I think our guys did a lot better job of going out and being us and playing how we need to play," MSU head coach Adam Nightingale said postgame.

A jumbling of MSU's lineup was unexpected entering Saturday night, but Nightingale mixed and matched from the evening prior. The changes made a clear difference.

MSU turned in an underwhelming performance in the series' first contest, allowing the Eagles three goals and a shutout win during what was supposed to be an energy-packed showdown at Munn. Plays that appeared too crafty for the team's "blue collar" ways and lost puck battles weighed MSU down under the bright lights Friday.

"We're a team that has to play behind teams. We've got to play north, we've got to play direct," Nightingale said. "You've gotta recognize too and check your ego at the blue line."

The Spartans knew they could ill afford a repeat of Friday. It showed. They made cleaner passes through the neutral zone and didn't let BC capitalize on their mistakes. They kept their heads high and drove through the zone with ease.

Halfway into the first period, MSU junior Isaac Howard dished one in front of BC goaltender Jacob Fowler’s crease. MSU junior forward Charlie Stramel finished to give the Spartans their first lead of the weekend. But, like Friday, the MSU success wouldn't be met without retaliation from the Eagles, who landed back-to-back breakaway goals in 70 seconds. BC held the lead entering the second frame.

But it didn't take long into the second period for the Spartans to reemerge with a vengeance. MSU senior Red Savage took a line to the net for a goal, his first as an MSU captain, just thirty seconds into the period. Savage had another opportunity half a minute later that rang off the post.

The back and forth was the theme of the night. After the Spartans took a hooking penalty, the Eagles took a 3-2 lead, but a pesky MSU clawed right back as Stramel earned his second goal of the night to tie it back up. 

The Stramel goal gave MSU energy as Daniel Russell took a pass from Karsen Dorwart that directed him straight to the net for a momentous goal, giving MSU a 4-3 lead.

Entering the final period, MSU had 20 minutes to make a stand and earn a statement win. It did just that, closing the door on the Eagles with connected defense and high intensity. Fowler was sent off with 97 seconds remaining but nothing came of it and the Spartans clinched the big win. 

MSU will be back in action for a single game on Friday, Oct. 18 at 6 p.m. against Windsor (ON) in an exhibition matchup at Munn Ice Arena.

Share and discuss “MSU hockey rebounds with 4-3 win over Boston College, splits series” on social media.