Thursday, October 10, 2024

Gender-affirming supplies for T-REx students now available

Pride flags hang along the walls at Michigan State's Gender and Sexuality Campus Center on Oct. 9, 2024.

The Gender and Sexuality Campus Center (GSCC) is teaming up with University Health and Wellbeing (UHW) to provide free gender-affirming supplies for Transgender Residential Experience (T-REx) students at Michigan State University for the fall semester.

The Transgender Residential Experience became available this past Fall 2024 semester. It was created from a proposal from The Gender Inclusive Housing Committee to address issues of inclusive housing.

T-REx is a dedicated living space specifically for transgender, nonbinary and gender-diverse students looking for inclusive housing. It provides a community centered on trans students and provides tools that foster individual healing, exploration and community building.

"With the 2-year live-on requirement for students, it’s important to continue to create spaces where students with marginalized identities can live among folks with shared experiences," Assistant Director for GSCC Oprah Jrenal said.

The supplies that will be provided to the T-REx residents include garments like chest binders, chest binding tape, breast forms, pocket bras, tucking kits and packers. 

"Our goal with providing gender-affirming supplies is to foster inclusion and a sense of belonging on campus for all students," Health Promotion Generalist for UHW Jozzy Rivera said.

Funding for the gender-affirming supplies comes from the UHW department. These supplies can be found both in the GSCC office, located in room 302 of the Student Services building, and in the T-REx lounge. 

"Having access to these can greatly impact and increase the mental health and wellbeing of a student and decrease feelings of despair, depression and loneliness," Coordinator of T-REx housing Em Wolfe said, "By providing these supplies for students for free they can explore their own gender and expression with fewer barriers."  

UHW and T-REx coordinators are in constant contact with each other and students to make sure that supplies are continuing to be provided for those in need. UHW and T-REx coordinators also have an active usage survey for residents to express suggestions and give feedback. 

As MSU strives to become a more inclusive and supportive environment for students of all identities, providing gender-affirming supplies for transgender and nonbinary students is a crucial step in fostering a safe and welcoming space. 

"Creating these pockets is helping our overall goal of making sure students who come to this campus are getting the education they want and they are paying for," Jrenal said.

Share and discuss “Gender-affirming supplies for T-REx students now available ” on social media.