Suzy Merchant steps down as head women's basketball coach

<p>Head women's basketball coach Suzy Merchant during Michigan State’s game against Prairie View A&amp;M on Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2022 at the Breslin Center. The Spartans ultimately beat the Panthers, 98-50.</p>

Head women's basketball coach Suzy Merchant during Michigan State’s game against Prairie View A&M on Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2022 at the Breslin Center. The Spartans ultimately beat the Panthers, 98-50.

Photo by Chloe Trofatter | The State News

Michigan State athletics announced Monday afternoon that head women's basketball coach Suzy Merchant would be stepping down from her role as head coach effective immediately.

Merchant got into a car accident on Jan. 28 this year due to an undisclosed medical incident, and did not return to the team for the remainder of the season.

“It is with a heavy heart that I announce I am stepping down from Michigan State University due to health reasons,” Merchant said in a statement. “After much consideration and consultation with my healthcare providers, I have come to the difficult decision that it is in my best interest.” 

Merchant was a staple in the Michigan State community for 16 years, ending her tenure with a record of 327-186. 

“We appreciate everything Coach Merchant has meant to our community. Her two Big Ten titles and 10 NCAA Tournament appearances provided lasting memories,” Athletic Director Alan Haller said in a statement. “Beyond the team's on-court success, she invested considerable time and energy into our local community as a leader and a role model for young people.”

Interim head women's basketball coach Dean Lockwood will remain as acting head coach while a national coaching search is conducted for Merchant's replacement. 

Share and discuss “Suzy Merchant steps down as head women's basketball coach” on social media.