The 1909: Quality Dairy closing, Board of Trustee campaigns, Starbucks worker strike

Ian Hyslop, secretary of the Greater Lansing Democratic Socialists of America, supports the Starbucks baristas from the Grand River and Stoddard location strike on the coveted Red Cup Day for better wages and working conditions on Nov. 17, 2022 in East Lansing. “The reason I could be here is because I have the vacation time and wages to take the day off,” they said.

Lily Guiney discusses the closure of Quality Dairy and words from the CEO. Guiney then goes in-depth and recaps the Board of Trustee race results variations.

Next, Guiney recaps the strike of Starbucks workers in the Greater Lansing area and the North American Indigenous Student Organization's, or NAISO, reminder of the true history behind MSU land acknowledgment regarding the Moral Act and the importance for Indigenous students to learn the accurate history.

Guiney finally recaps another student organization, MSU's chapter of the Sunrise Movement, protest at Spartan Stadium for a push for full divestment from fossil fuels by the MSU Office of Investments. Guiney also goes in-depth about MSU's decision on fossil fuel investments. 

This week on The 1909:

"The 1909" team

Podcast coordinator: Shakyra Mabone

Host: Lily Guiney

Edited by: SaMya Overall, Shakyra Mabone, Jada Vasser

Article(s) Referenced:

Quality Dairy closes Michigan Avenue store in East Lansing by Wendy Guzman

What campaign finance filings reveal about Board of Trustees winners by Alex Walters

Michigan State Trustee Pat O'Keefe resigns in letter to governor's office by Amalia Medina

East Lansing-area Starbucks workers strike over stalled contract negotiations by Jaden Beard

Share and discuss “The 1909: Quality Dairy closing, Board of Trustee campaigns, Starbucks worker strike” on social media.