Broad Art Lab offers collaborative space for creativity

<p>The MSU Broad Art Lab on Grand River Avenue photographed on March 31, 2021.</p>

The MSU Broad Art Lab on Grand River Avenue photographed on March 31, 2021.

Photo by Rahmya Trewern | The State News

The Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum is well known for its captivating exhibits, both intellectually and visually. However, The Broad Museum experience also continues across the street, in the Broad Art Lab.

The Broad Art Lab contains exhibits, event space and as of this year, a collaborative studio space, open to students and the public. 

“Art Lab provides an opportunity to experiment beyond what’s possible in the museum," Director of Communications Morgan Butts said. "It’s a pace for people to get creative, and get a little messier than we can across the street. ... We wanted to make sure that we could provide an accessible gateway to contemporary art for new audiences, students included, where there was really an opportunity to get creative and to make.”

Unveiled in January, the Studio Share space is a designated area inside the Art Lab, where students and the general public can pay a small fee of $8 for supplies to create and the space to do so. 

“I know when I was a student there is nothing better than being able to take my mind off of all the other things I had going on: work, school etc. and be able to get creative," Butts said.

Studio Share provides basic supplies such as pens, markers and paint, as well as more advanced supplies, such as sewing machines and an etching press. If you don’t know how to use a tool, staff are on standby, waiting to help. 

“We have an introductory video, and there’s always someone on staff to help troubleshoot and to guide you along,” Art Lab Educator Britta Urness said.

Urness emphasized the convenience of the Studio Share space for students. 

“I know so many students, if they’re in their residence hall or apartment, having designated space for creative work is hard,” Urness said. “This is a place where they can do that but also be socially distanced in a bright professional studio space.”

However, even some artistically inclined students still did not know about the space. 

“I did not know they had that, but I would be interested in learning more about it," creative advertising junior Lauren Veldboom said.

If you are also interested in learning more about The Art Lab, and its Studio Share space, visit their website.

Share and discuss “Broad Art Lab offers collaborative space for creativity” on social media.