Interim XC, track and field Head Coach Lisa Breznau named Big Ten Coach of the Year

<p>Michigan State women&#x27;s cross country hoists their Big Ten Title after winning the Cross Country Big Ten Championship on Jan. 30, 2021.</p>

Michigan State women's cross country hoists their Big Ten Title after winning the Cross Country Big Ten Championship on Jan. 30, 2021.

Lisa Breznau didn't even know she would be in this position in November.

Well, when Walt Drenth decided to hang up his clipboard and whistle after 30 years it became reality.

"(I learned) so much: What it is just to be a good person, a good human being, about a willingness to help no matter what the chore may be," Breznau told The State News following his retirement.

It was clear Wednesday that Breznau learned plenty after she was named the Big Ten Coach of the Year for women's cross country by a unanimous vote.

"I'm just happy for our program," Breznau said. "It puts our program on the map."

The announcement came just days after she was at the helm of a second consecutive Big Ten Championship for the women's XC team. The men's cross country coach of the year for the conference was Wisconsin's Mick Byrne.

"I'm glad to represent the program and represent the work that coach Drenth put into this," Breznau said in a phone interview. "But honestly, our ladies, I think this is more of an award for them. They just do a phenomenal job of doing all the right things so I think its more just a great award for our program and our team."

Breznau guided the Michigan State women’s cross country program to its eighth Big Ten Championship in total. The Spartans registered 48 points after all five of its scoring runners finished in the top 16 on Jan. 30 at Blue River Memorial Park down in Indiana.

The coaching award is her first Big Ten Coach of the Year honor and the seventh for the Michigan State program.

"They're great (the women's team) I mean honestly, it's a funky time obviously having training and competing during COVID-19 and keeping everyone safe both physically, emotionally and mentally," Breznau said. "Right now (it) has its challenges, there's some luck with getting to compete as well. You know our peers right down the road (Michigan) unfortunately did not get to compete this past weekend. I was just bummed, completely disappointed for them."

The interim director of both the cross country and track and field programs at MSU reiterated the award wouldn't be possible without the women she coaches as they prepare for the NCAA Championships in March.

"We have great senior leadership right now. We have great energy from our younger athletes," she said. "Those two things combined make a, you know, pretty phenomenal practice sessions and racing as well."

"It's just about the type of work our team is putting in and letting that show."

Share and discuss “Interim XC, track and field Head Coach Lisa Breznau named Big Ten Coach of the Year” on social media.