MSU students could attend classes at Wharton Center and the Breslin this fall

<p>The Wharton Center photographed on Aug. 23, 2019.</p>

The Wharton Center photographed on Aug. 23, 2019.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

MSU students could attend class at the Wharton Center or Breslin Center this fall, according to Michigan State Deputy Spokesperson Dan Olsen.

Specifically, Olsen said MSU officials are looking at transitioning spaces within the Wharton Center for instructional use and will continue to evaluate options as the fall semester nears.

The Wharton to be used for in-person instruction

Locations designated for instruction within the Wharton Center include Cobb Great Hall, Pasant Theatre, Jackson Donor Lounge and Christman Lounge.

"If there's seating in those areas, those are going to be taped off similar to how we have set up our other lecture halls," Olsen said. "There's kind of a band around the seats to make sure that students aren't using those and allowing for the appropriate social distancing to happen."

A majority of these instructional spaces will be used for those enrolled in performance-based classes, Olsen said.

Estimates for student capacity in Cobb Great Hall and Pasant Theatre are still being evaluated, Olsen said. However, Christman Lounge will be able to accommodate up to 35 students, and Jackson Lounge will be able to accommodate up to 47 students.

Overall, 24 classes are set to take place in designated areas of the Wharton Center, Olsen said. If a student has a class at the Wharton Center they will be notified in their course schedule.

As for the Breslin Center, the space remains an option for holding socially-distant classes, Olsen said. However, the university has not considered the Breslin a necessary instructional space at this time.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer waives inspections for large space instructional conversion

Last month, Whitmer made the process of large space transitions easier when she waived inspections for universities looking to convert large areas into class space amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The order took effect immediately.

These space conversions would allow students to remain more physically distant. However, prior to Whitmer's order, the Bureau of Fire Services would have to inspect and approve each space.

MSU faculty were asked to hold 75% of classes at least partially online this fall. Additionally, students with all online classes may remain home for the upcoming semester, and those remaining on campus will be required to wear a face mask indoors and outdoors.

"We appreciate the governor for providing us with this additional flexibility that allows us to transition some of our larger spaces on campus into instructional spaces for in-person courses — all while maintaining the appropriate physical distancing between students," Olsen said.

As the fall semester nears, Olsen said MSU officials will continue to monitor the COVID-19 outbreak locally and nationally and adapt decisions with the Spartan community's health and safety foremost in mind.

At the time of publication, Olsen said the Wharton Center and the Breslin were the only two non-academic large buildings being considered for instructional space.

Share and discuss “MSU students could attend classes at Wharton Center and the Breslin this fall” on social media.