From the editor's desk: 'The State News has missed you'

EIC Madison O'Connor excited to renew ties with alums of all generations

Photo by Alyte Katilius | The State News

Welcome to the rebirth of the State News Alumni Association newsletter — and if you’re just starting to get involved (or re-involved) in the Alumni Association, welcome! The current newsroom is lucky to have your support.

The State News has probably changed a lot since you were here. Heck, it’s changed a lot since I started here as a freshman in fall 2016.

When I started, the newsroom staff was around 30 people, and we’ve been blessed to see our staff increase to nearly 50. We’ve had changes to the full-time staff, and our General Manager is now Christopher Richert, our Newsroom Adviser is Omar Sofradzija, our Production and Creative Adviser is Daena Faustino and our Photo and Multimedia Adviser is Wesley Herold. We’re now located on Grand River Avenue, above a Blaze Pizza and Panda Express (both dangerously close).

Although the newsroom has changed in many ways, things probably aren’t too different since you were here.

We still do Cookie Day, have an Intern Potluck, go to The Peanut Barrel and choose between queso, guac or salsa. We still give out the Viking each week and we still play the Michigan Daily in “touch” football (and although we’re not the most athletic, we have way more fun than they do). And the staff is still dedicated as ever.

Since I’ve been at The State News, I’ve had the opportunity to meet a number of S'News alums, and I’m always energized by the conversations I have with all of you. Because no matter when you were here, whether it was five years ago or 10 or 45, we all have shared experiences.

Whether it’s trying to balance classes with The State News, navigating what it means to be a student-journalist or covering a governing body that acts like a reality TV show, you’ve been there and so have we.

The bond between alumni and The State News is powerful. Even after you’re gone, your impact remains. And those of us who are in the newsroom now have so much to learn from your experiences and your post-grad path.

Please, if you have the time, get involved. Come visit the newsroom if you’re in town or video call in and meet the staff. There are opportunities to mentor current staffers and to get involved with the Alumni Association’s efforts.

The State News has missed you, and we’re so grateful to have your support.

Welcome home.

Madison O’Connor is The State News’ 2019-20 editor-in-chief. She’s a senior pursuing degrees in journalism and user experience design. Before becoming editor-in-chief, Madison was the lead reporter on the Larry Nassar cases and the administrative and community response to the crisis. She was the campus news editor in spring 2018 and guided the desk in covering university turmoil. She has interned at The Grand Rapids Press, the Lansing State Journal and most recently, the Naples Daily News. She can be reached at madison.oconnor@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “From the editor's desk: 'The State News has missed you'” on social media.