Want to set off fireworks in East Lansing? Here are the rules

<p>Dewitt, Mich., resident Steve Miner watches fireworks July 4, 2014, at Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing. Many residents gathered at the park to watch live entertainment and see fireworks. Corey Damocles/The State News</p>

Dewitt, Mich., resident Steve Miner watches fireworks July 4, 2014, at Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing. Many residents gathered at the park to watch live entertainment and see fireworks. Corey Damocles/The State News

Photo by Corey Damocles | The State News

July 4 is nationally known as a day to set off fireworks in the sky, and East Lansing has guidelines for those wishing to participate.

Commercial fireworks are permitted from June 29 to July 4 from 11:00 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. each day.

This is different from previous years. Last February, the East Lansing City Council passed an ordinance to comply with the state legislature’s changes to the Michigan Fireworks Safety Act.

The penalty for igniting fireworks at other times or days is a $1,000 civil infraction for each violation, double what it was before the law was passed.

When July 5 is on a weekend, fireworks are permitted during the same time, but since July 5 is a Friday this year, it is not permitted.

Fireworks can only be launched from personal property, and it is illegal to discharge fireworks when intoxicated.

Other times throughout the year fireworks are permitted include:

• From 11:00 a.m. on New Year’s Eve to 1:00 a.m. on New Year’s Day.
  • The Saturday and Sunday before Labor Day and Memorial Day from 11:00 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. each day, but not on the day itself.

Share and discuss “Want to set off fireworks in East Lansing? Here are the rules” on social media.