Team of MSU students compete in global Procter and Gamble CEO challenge

Advertising management junior Yash Gangal and three other Michigan State students are a part of a team competing in the Procter and Gamble CEO Challenge. Photo courtesy of Yash Gangal.

With only 30 out of 200 teams left in North America, four Michigan State students are hoping for the chance of making it to the finals in the Procter and Gamble, or P&G CEO Challenge.

The competition — created to test business strategy and problem-solving skills through a series of rounds using case studies and digital marketing strategies — will give one team from each continent a chance to travel to Dubai for the global final. The winning team will have the opportunity to meet P&G CEO David Taylor. 

“It’s about how the team would make a good CEO if we, as a team, were put in that position," Advertising management junior Yash Gangal, one of the students on MSU's team, said. "How would we interact? How would we behave? How would our decisions impact the brand?”  

The MSU team consists of Gangal, mechanical engineering and economics junior Kurtis Potier, mechanical engineering junior Owen Ruster and applied engineering sciences junior Jon Urich. 

Together, the team believes their diverse backgrounds provide them with an advantage in the competition. 

"Some of us have multiple majors, but we have applied engineering, advertising, economics and mechanical engineering with lots of minors and specialties within that as well," Potier said. "So, a lot of applicable knowledge to a brand like P&G where it's a big advertising company, but it's also an engineering and product company and a manufacturing company."

The team recently was tasked with putting together a video that promotes their group for the digital marketing round. From this round, five teams will be chosen to compete in Boston to become the top team in the continent. The more community engagement they get on their video, the better chance they have of being moved forward, they said. 

Overall, members of the group said they were thrilled to represent MSU on a global scale.

"I just think we want to emphasize that we’re super excited to finally put Michigan State in the positive spotlight and it’s not just about us," Urich said. "We actually want to represent the university and the different colleges. We represent everything we’re involved in … It would just be huge for Spartan Nation if we could do something positive because it’s been not super positive the last year."

Share and discuss “Team of MSU students compete in global Procter and Gamble CEO challenge” on social media.