Report: MSU board asks Engler to resign

Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018.
Beaumont Tower on July 30, 2018. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Trustee Dianne Byrum asked Interim President John Engler to resign before the Michigan State Board of Trustees meets to decide his future at the university Thursday, a source close to the administration told the Detroit Free Press.

The board will have an open meeting Thursday at 8 a.m. to discuss Engler's future at the university, following comments Engler made about survivors in an interview with The Detroit News' editorial Board where he said they were “enjoying the spotlight."

A source told the Free Press at least five board members will vote in support of Engler's termination as interim president. The source also said the board is expected to find a replacement for Engler at Thursday's meeting.

An agenda for the meeting was also released, and features only one agenda item on personnel action. 

Trustee Brian Mosallam previously made a motion to terminate Engler from his position "for failing to uphold the standards of conduct expected from a leader of this university” at a June board meeting. This came after Engler claimed Larry Nassar survivor Rachael Denhollander would be getting a "kickback" from her attorneys for aiding in the "manipulation" of other survivors against the university.

The motion didn't pass, but Mosallam and Byrum voted in support of it.

Stay with The State News for updates. 

Share and discuss “Report: MSU board asks Engler to resign” on social media.