New MSU Museum exhibit to feature Michigan State professor's work

The entrance wall to the Abomey exhibit is pictured in the MSU Museum on Aug. 29, 2018. The exhibit asks visitors to notice the differences and similarities between the professions in Abomey and those in their own families.
The entrance wall to the Abomey exhibit is pictured in the MSU Museum on Aug. 29, 2018. The exhibit asks visitors to notice the differences and similarities between the professions in Abomey and those in their own families. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

This year, the photographic work of Darcy Drew Greene brings the people of Benin, Africa to East Lansing. 

The MSU Museum features the photographic work of Greene, an associate professor with MSU’s School of Journalism. 

“On the Job in Abomey: MSU’s Portraits of Working People in Benin” features more than 40 photographs and interviews of individuals from various professions from the town of Abomey. 

Greene has traveled to Benin multiple times. During her most recent visit in 2016, her goal was to learn more about the people and their daily lives.  

The museum will host a reception for the exhibit from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sept. 22. A gallery talk with Greene, during which individuals can learn more about her work, is set for 11:30 a.m. 

“What I hope viewers to the museum will see is that work is universal and not only look at the photographs and see the people and the conditions under which they are working but also read their stories and see how they might be holding down more than one job, how that job may have come from the lineage of their families,” Greene said.

During her time in Benin, Greene worked with a research assistant to establish a relationship of comfort and respect with the people and culture of Benin. Her goal was to develop trust between herself and them before being able to tell their stories. 

Exhibitions manager Teresa Goforth worked alongside a team at the museum – including Greene – to display the content in the exhibit in an artful and engaging way.  

“We wanted the photographs to really be the stars of the show. It was Darcy creating the groupings, which stories should go together, and then us finding ways to make sure that they didn’t get lost in the clutter,” Goforth said. “Darcy is one of the things that is special about this exhibition ... when I work with her photographs and work with her, I feel a sense of responsibility to the work. What we’re doing with it to put it on the walls for visitors to come and see it, has to be respectful of the time, energy and effort that she has put into it.”

MSU Museum Director Mark Auslander said he was excited about the exhibit, but moreso about the cultural relationships it evokes between people from all parts of the world. 

“We’re very interested in photography itself, as a way that gives us a window both into other people’s lives in other parts of the world, but also as a window into the relationship with the photographer,” Auslander said. “The photographs kind of hold up a mirror to similar economic issues right here in the United States.”

This exhibit is also a part of MSU’s Year of Global Africa. Both Auslander and Greene said they are optimistic about the impact of the exhibit on the MSU community and beyond.  

“Especially in the year of Global Africa here at MSU, we are committed to telling all sorts of stories, especially stories about everyday lives and ordinary people,” Auslander said.

Greene hopes her work will inspire viewers to think about their own jobs and what factors influence their relationship to work.  

“I would encourage students to come to the museum and take advantage of these exhibitions for the Year of Global Africa,” Greene said. 

Auslander pointed out that each of the individuals in Greene’s gallery are ambassadors from Abomey. Being able to bring them to East Lansing, he said, was an opportunity to welcome them. 

“Each individual in the pictures is an ambassador of Abomey that is traveling to East Lansing and we’ve loved welcoming them into our place,” Auslander said.   

Share and discuss “New MSU Museum exhibit to feature Michigan State professor's work” on social media.