Robert Young to serve as MSU's vice president, general counsel

Hannah Administration Building on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

MSU Interim President John Engler has appointed Robert Young to the position of vice president and general counsel at the university.

Young’s appointment follows the departure of former acting general counsel Kristine Zayko. Zayko resigned in early May to pursue work in a private practice. 

Her resignation occurred shortly before the publishing of a Detroit Free Press report that alleged Zayko knew as early as 2005 of sexual harassment allegations brought against William Strampel, former dean of MSU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine.

As for Young, he is a Harvard Law School graduate and a former Chief Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court. Currently, he serves the Dickinson Wright law firm in Lansing. He has also served as part of MSU’s special counsel since his appointment by President Engler in late February 2018. 

“Bob did a tremendous job representing MSU during the recent mediation and achieving an equitable outcome for all,” Engler said of the appointment. “As the university moves forward, we will draw on his prior appellate judicial experience as well as his time in private practice where he served as a general counsel for one of Michigan’s leading companies. His leadership and expertise will be a great asset to the MSU legal team.”

According to a press release, Young’s new appointment will take effect on June 1, 2018. 

Stay with The State News for further updates to this story. 

Share and discuss “Robert Young to serve as MSU's vice president, general counsel” on social media.