National School Walkout planned for Wednesday to honor Parkland

<p>The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School sign has a display of wreaths after the Feb. 14 shooting. <strong>Courtesy Photo of Ron Lieberman.</strong></p>

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School sign has a display of wreaths after the Feb. 14 shooting. Courtesy Photo of Ron Lieberman.

Students, faculty and parents in East Lansing will demand answers to gun violence by joining together in a walkout.

East Lansing High School is taking part in a National School Walkout at 10 a.m. on Wednesday. This walkout is organized by the Women’s March Youth EMPOWER and is part of the #Enough movement

Across every timezone, the walkout will last 17 minutes to honor the 17 victims of the Parkland, Florida, shooting, and to urge Congress to pass legislation to enforce gun safety and to stop gun violence. 

East Lansing High School is one of the high schools across the nation planning to take part in this event. 

Daniel Kaplowitz is the co-president of Students for Gender Equality at East Lansing High School and has joined with the Black Student Union in the school to organize the walkout for East Lansing.

"From my perspective, as students, we are far too often the victims of gun violence, but we are also I think far too often shut out of conversations about ways to address it," Kaplowitz said.

Following the national school walkout, there will be a rally at the steps of the Lansing Capitol building at noon to demand action and change to gun violence. 

"The fact that these gun control measures are not being put into place is  just a clear result of the stranglehold that special interests have on our legislation," Kaplowitz said. "We are standing up as students and saying, 'It is our lives that are on the line. Enough is enough. We are done with this current paradigm.'"

Share and discuss “National School Walkout planned for Wednesday to honor Parkland” on social media.