Karolyi Ranch conditions were 'digusting,' Aly Raisman tells WaPo

Six-time Olympic medal winner Aly Raisman addresses Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar during her statement on the fourth day of Nassar's sentencing on Jan. 19, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Six-time Olympic medal winner Aly Raisman addresses Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar during her statement on the fourth day of Nassar's sentencing on Jan. 19, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

U.S. Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman told the Washington Post conditions at the former USA Gymnastics training facility Karolyi Ranch were "disgusting" and contributed to the abuse of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.

“The shower smelled like eggs, and we would bring sandals to wear because it was so disgusting,” Raisman told the Post. “After you showered you were like, I almost feel dirtier than before.”

Beds had stained blankets and were sometimes infested with bugs, Raisman told the Post. The food was low quality and void of nutritional value. There was no nutritionist. Athletes were not provided with bottled water, and bathrooms did not have soap.

There was no dedicated medical facility; Nassar or other trainers would sometimes treat injured athletes on their beds without supervision, according to Raisman.

“The fact that Nassar was fine working on us on our beds without a table, that 100 percent should’ve been a red flag to USA Gymnastics,”  Raisman told the Post.  

Raisman is suing USA Gymnastics and the United States Olympic Committee, alleging they did not “implement appropriate safeguards” at the ranch, leaving her and her teammates vulnerable to Nassar's abuse.

The column featuring Raisman's interview can be read here.

Share and discuss “Karolyi Ranch conditions were 'digusting,' Aly Raisman tells WaPo ” on social media.