Three new lawsuits filed against MSU regarding handling of Nassar

Larry Nassar is escorted out of the courtroom during the first day of sentencing for Larry Nassar on Jan. 31, 2018, in the Eaton County courtroom. Nassar faces three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton County.

Three new lawsuits have been filed against MSU since Feb. 17, regarding the handling of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar.

The lawsuits were filed in Western District of Michigan federal court.

In a lawsuit filed Feb. 17, Katherine Gordon is suing MSU, the MSU Board of Trustees and the following individuals: Nassar, former College of Osteopathic Medicine Dean William Strampel, MSU Sports Medicine Dr. Jeffrey Kovan, retired MSU professor of clinical psychology Gary Stollak, former MSU gymnastics head coach Kathie Klages and current athletic trainer Destiny Teachnor-Hauk.

Gordon is a survivor of Nassar and spoke during his sentencing in Ingham County. She is represented by the law firm Manly, Stewart and Finaldi and the firm Drew, Cooper and Anding.

The firms represent approximately 110 Nassar survivors in other lawsuits.

A spokesperson for Drew, Cooper and Anding said the firm declined to comment on specifics about the case. 

A footnote in the case filing attributes the reason for a separate filing to the desire to “file her claim prior to her 19th birthday, which falls before the February 28, 2018.”

The lawsuit is seeking a jury trial.

The other two lawsuits were filed by Louis Corey of the Corey Law Firm on Feb. 18. The first lawsuit is by John and Janet Doe on behalf of Jane Doe 01, a minor. It names MSU, the MSU Board of Trustees, Nassar, MSU Sports Medicine Clinic and USA Gymnastics, Inc. as defendants.

The second lawsuit is filed by Jane Doe 02, and names the same defendants.

They both say “this is a civil action for declaratory, injunctive, equitable, and monetary relief for injuries sustained by plaintiff’s minor as a result of the acts, conduct, and omissions” of the defendants.

Both are seeking a jury trial.

Corey could not be reached for comment at the time of publication.

MSU Communications and Brand Strategies did not respond to request for comment at time of publication.

Share and discuss “Three new lawsuits filed against MSU regarding handling of Nassar” on social media.