Harper's unveils new automated draft tables

A photo of the new personalized draft tables on Jan. 18, 2017 at Harper?s Restaurant and Brewpub at 131 Albert Ave.
A photo of the new personalized draft tables on Jan. 18, 2017 at Harper?s Restaurant and Brewpub at 131 Albert Ave. —

While beer is a staple at East Lansing bars, Harper's Restaurant and Brewpub has added a new feature to its tables to set them apart. The newest additions are personalized draft tables—a way for customers to pour their drinks without getting up from their table.

Harper’s owner Pat Riley said the bar is the first in Michigan to have personalized draft tables available. The personalized draft tables are automated and allow individuals to pour beer from their table.

“People are coming in all the time to look at them now because it is the first installation like this in the state,” Riley said.

The draft towers are computer controlled and are activated by the server. The tower has two draft nozzles that allow customers to switch back and forth between two types of beer while pouring the beer at their own ease.

“The beer costs the same as if you ordered a beer from a bartender or a server from another table,” Riley said. “There is no increase in cost. It is identical in cost.”

Riley said all of the equipment was ordered from Ireland. Students entering Harper’s might notice other changes to the bar. Riley said the whole bar has been updated.

“We did a complete refresh of the inside of Harper’s,” Riley said. “Everything inside of Harper’s is all new. We have all new wood flooring, all new furniture everywhere, booths, bench seats — you name it, and new lighting. It has been a complete refresh, and we timed that so we could do it and have these draft beer tables at the same time.”

The personal draft towers are kept chilled with a special mechanism that allows for the beer to stay cold all of the time.

“When you’re pouring a beer, you get ice cold beer and you get the amount you want to put in your glass at that time so it is not sitting around on the table while it gets warm,” Riley said.

Riley said the draft towers are a unique addition to Harper’s. He encouraged students to check them out.

“The flexibility is at the customer’s discretion and the beer is super cold,” Riley said. “It is kind of the wave of the future, being able to get things delivered to your table without having to wait.”

East Lansing resident and Harper’s bartender Meghan Sweeney said she has worked at the bar for six months. She said customers are still getting used to the new addition.

“They are kind of shocked and they like the thought of just being able to sit there with their friends and just pour their own beer up,” Sweeney said. “It just gives a little pizazz and it is something unique and fun that they can just try.”

Share and discuss “Harper's unveils new automated draft tables ” on social media.