Trump hosts late-night rally in Grand Rapids

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump points to the crowd after finishing his speech on Nov. 7, 2016 at DeVos Place Convention Center in Grand Rapids, Mich. The DeVos Place Convention Center was Trump's last stop for the 2016 election season.
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump points to the crowd after finishing his speech on Nov. 7, 2016 at DeVos Place Convention Center in Grand Rapids, Mich. The DeVos Place Convention Center was Trump's last stop for the 2016 election season. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump delivered his final stump speech of the 2016 election season Monday night at the Devos Place Convention Center in Grand Rapids.

Trump’s speech followed Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s speech at Grand Valley State University Monday afternoon and President Barack Obama’s speech at the University of Michigan Monday morning.

Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) joined Trump in Grand Rapids after holding a rally in Traverse City Monday morning.

Trump spoke to a crowd of more than 4,200 people, less than eight hours before the polls open on Tuesday morning.

Before Trump took the stage, Ronna Romney McDaniel spoke to the crowd.

"This is his final rally, let's honor him by putting him in the White House," Romney McDaniel said. "Tomorrow, Nov. 8, we will permanently retire Hillary Clinton and put Donald J. Trump in the White House."

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette also spoke at the rally.

"Michigan is the center of the universe in terms of who's going to be the next president," Schuette said. "We need to make sure we elect our Republican team from Trump to bottom and bottom to Trump."

Musician Ted Nugent played the national anthem, then led the crowd in a quick "USA" chant.

"My name is Ted Nugent and I'm the king of deplorables," Nugent said.

Pence took the stage at midnight.

"It's a choice between two futures," Pence said. "I choose a stronger America. I choose to stand with Donald Trump and every American who knows we can make America great again."

Pence addressed the future of Obamacare if Trump becomes president.

"When Donald Trump becomes president, we're going to repeal Obamacare, lock, stock and barrel," Pence said.

He also emphasized the importance of voting.

"Vote. Bring a friend, friends don't let friends vote alone," Pence said. "(The election is) a choice between up and down. (We need to) march back up the hill to a stronger America."

Trump walked on stage to loud cheers from the crowd, a little after 1 a.m. Tuesday.

"I thought New Hampshire was going to be my last state, but I heard crooked Hillary Clinton was coming to Michigan, so I said, 'Let's follow it up,'" Trump said.

Trump agreed with Pence's stance on Obamacare.

"I'm asking for your vote so we can repeal and replace Obamacare," Trump said.

He went on to talk about the economy and the lack of manufacturing jobs in Michigan.

"It used to be cars were made in Flint and you couldn't drink the water in Mexico," Trump said. "Now, cars are built in Mexico and you can't drink the water in Flint."

Companies who move their factories out of the U.S. will face a 35 percent tax on their sales in the U.S., Trump said.

Trump also promised to end the Syrian refugee program.

"To be a rich nation we must also be a safe nation," Trump said. "When I'm elected president, we will suspend the Syrian refugee program and we will keep radical Islam out of our country."

Trump moved on to talk about Mexican immigration.

"We're going to have a great relationship with Mexico ... they're going to pay for the wall," Trump said. "We will build a great, great wall."

Trump asked supporters to dream big for this election.

"I'm asking for you to dream big because with your vote we are just hours away from the biggest change of our lives," Trump said. "It is time for change, it is time for leadership."

People protested outside of the rally and interacted with those lined up to see Trump.

There were chants like "no justice, no peace, no racist police." Those were met with chants of "USA, USA" and "Trump, Trump."

Share and discuss “Trump hosts late-night rally in Grand Rapids” on social media.