Editorial: The State News endorses Hillary Clinton

Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton, left, and her Vice Presidential running mate Tim Kaine celebrate after her acceptance speech on the final day of the Democratic National Convention on July 28, 2016 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.  Clinton became the first woman to accept the nomination of a major party for the presidential election.
Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton, left, and her Vice Presidential running mate Tim Kaine celebrate after her acceptance speech on the final day of the Democratic National Convention on July 28, 2016 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. Clinton became the first woman to accept the nomination of a major party for the presidential election. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

As the field of candidates for president dwindled down, only one carried the qualifications to take the highest office in the world.

In a year of vast divide over patriotism, nationalism and the economic direction of the country, only Hillary Clinton has stood as the realistic candidate for president of the United States. She has delivered time and again a levelheaded approach, based on pragmatism and a nod toward bipartisanship, in her political record.

Clinton, the Democratic Party nominee, is The State News' choice for president.

The decision, however, was not unanimous. It was emblematic of the tumultuous divide concerning the nation. Though we wish it was a unified decision, we feel the the discourse conveyed a healthy debate needed in a democratic society.

During her tenure in the political realm, she has stood against a barrage of attacks, both personal and for situations she had no involvement in.

Her time as a senator yielded strong compliments for her knowledge, work ethic and bipartisanship in working with Republicans.

She has sat on multiple Senate committees, pushed for healthcare reform and helped 9/11 first responders by obtaining benefits and later funding for the rested lonely of ground zero.

She has championed her party's ideals and continues to push a progressive agenda based on equality for all and a cohesive country working to benefit all living in it.

Her immigration policy favors reform through legislation and executive action to protect undocumented, law-abiding immigrants.

She has pushed for U.S. intervention in foreign conflicts in an attempt to preserve American ideals and interests.

She has pushed for reform in higher education costs. Admittedly, her proposal to lessen the burden of college debt through tax increases on the wealthy is vague and needs a more clear, realistic plan.

She firmly believes in the effects of global warming and has said she'll push for investments in clean energy to ensure an eco-friendly society for future generations.

She has made defending the U.S. from ISIS a top priority. She has put abortion rights at the top of her list as well, saying she'll oppose measures to overturn access to women's reproductive needs.

She's sustained the wit, the knowledge and the experience necessary to make tough choices and will be an effective leader in dealing with a gridlocked, divisive Congress.

She's seen administrations inside and out, being a part of tough decisions and she's proven she's willing to stand for what she believes is the right direction for the country.

She's done all this and more, staying away from invoking nativist fears and pandering to ignorance as her opponent so often has.

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has proven ineffective in keeping an even keel.

His alienating rhetoric, usually racially-charged and teeming with ignorance, is uncharacteristic of American ideals and the type of backward thinking that is a detriment to a free society.

His lack of interest and understanding of foreign affairs has lead him to be lackadaisical on Russia and muse aloud why the U.S. is not using nuclear weapons.

His refusal to admit wrongdoing and failure shows not only unremitting arrogance but a lack of self-reflection needed in the leader of a country.

His ideas for the economic growth of the country would spawn trade wars. His plans to deport millions of undocumented immigrants, along with his plan to cut taxes for the wealthiest Americans, would add trillions to the national debt

The State News however does not overlook the scandals that have marred Clinton. Her lack of judgement on Benghazi is a cause for concern, though no wrongdoing was ever found from multiple investigations.

Clinton's secretive approach is also a concern, evidenced by her ordered destruction of thousands of emails on her private server.

These raise red flags, though they never produced enough evidence to warrant a crime. Her misgivings are vastly outweighed by the dangers a Trump presidency would generate.

Clinton has proven herself a worthy candidate. She has the backing of The State News. 

The State News Editorial Board is made up of the Editor-in-chief Jake Allen, Managing Editor Cameron Macko, Campus Editor Rachel Fradette, City Editor Josh Bender, Sports Editor Casey Harrison, Features Editor Connor Clark, Copy Chief Casey Holland, Diversity Representative Alexea Hankin and Staff Representative Stephen Olschanski.

Share and discuss “Editorial: The State News endorses Hillary Clinton ” on social media.