Sen. Cory Booker highlights voter registration in rally speech at the Union

Senator Cory Booker speaks to attendants during a rally on Oct. 11, 2016 in the Union. Booker gave a speech during the event, which he attended alongside Michigan senators Debbie Stabenow and Gary Peters.
Senator Cory Booker speaks to attendants during a rally on Oct. 11, 2016 in the Union. Booker gave a speech during the event, which he attended alongside Michigan senators Debbie Stabenow and Gary Peters. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) was joined by Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow and Sen. Gary Peters in a rally for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton on Oct. 11 at the Union.

Booker said his visit to MSU, next to his support for Clinton, is because of roots he has in Michigan. During the Great Depression, his family moved from Monroe, La. to Michigan looking for economic opportunity. His grandfather got a job working for Ford Motor Company on the assembly line, and became a union organizer during the war. His mother was born in Michigan.

“I just have a lot of love for Michigan,” Booker said. “The country is looking to this state. It’s battleground state ... I felt it was really important that I was here.”

Peters came first in the rally. He said he was proud to support Clinton.

“Without question, she is the most qualified and best candidate to be the next president of the United States,” Peters said. “And with this election in particular, there is not a more dramatic difference between these two candidates.”

Peters urged the crowd to watch the presidential debates. He denounced Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump for his comments about foreign policy related to Russia, calling the man a “tyrant.” Stabenow came next, voicing anti-Trump sentiments before sharing personal anecdotes of her experiences with Clinton. She then told the crowd to make sure they are registered to vote, and to register their friends.

“This is incredibly important,” Stabenow said. “That we have everybody who can vote be able to vote. … It is incredible when I think of what’s at stake.”

Booker focused intensely on voter responsibility. More specifically, he spoke of millennial responsibility.

“Millennials can determine the outcome of this election easily,” Booker said. “Just by voting. But the majority of millennials just don’t vote. But if millennials did, they would determine not just the outcome of the presidency, but the outcome of Congress as well.”

Booker said now is the time to get involved in the election process, especially for students.

“This is one of those situations where apathy and indifference is causing bad things to happen,” Booker said. “If you believe in social justice, this election is going to determine life or death issues that lay on the margins of society. Whether people are going to be deported or not. Whether there are going to be sentences of death or not. Whether people are going to have healthcare or not. If you don’t want to vote for yourself, then please vote for those who are struggling in America.”

This message rang clear to students, who were receptive to Booker. At one point, he told the crowd, “if it is to be, it is up to me,” as a slogan for voter responsibility. He had the room repeat it out. Event goers laughed often while he spoke, and Booker hugged one attendee he said he felt a “connection” with. 

“My favorite part was how Booker was saying that we can’t complain if someone is in office that we don’t like if we don’t vote,” criminal justice senior Tatyanna Wrinkle said. “I think that’s the most important thing for people to realize, that you can’t sit here and be upset when you didn’t do your civic duty.”

Share and discuss “Sen. Cory Booker highlights voter registration in rally speech at the Union” on social media.