53rd Annual East Lansing Art Festival brings thousands to city

Over this past weekend the East Lansing Art Festival brought art from across the United States to downtown East Lansing. Tens of thousands of residents came to enjoy the pristine 70-degree weather, live entertainment and, foremost, the work of nearly 200 artists during Saturday and Sunday’s annual celebration of culture.

“We’ve expanded or enhanced our art demo area this year and enhanced our children’s area. And I think our musical lineup is really great,” Michelle Carlson, East Lansing Art Festival director, said, noting how the East Lansing Art Festival has become more than just an art show to the community.

This year the festival included more artists than ever before, with nearly 200 artists lining the streets. Additional sources of entertainment included poetry events, kids activities and expanded demonstration workshops, while the music lineup hosted 20 acts across two stages.

Of course, art remains the central focus for the East Lansing Art Festival. Melvin McGee from Green Bay, Wisconsin, is a favorite amongst the East Lansing community with a sophisticated yet cartoonish style.

“For me, it’s one of my favorite shows,” McGee said. “The college kids just really get my art.”

The East Lansing Art Festival has garnered numerous national awards for its show, including ArtFairCalendar.com’s recognition as a “Best Art Fair” for 2015 and a Sunshine Artist “200 Best” placement in 2015. Carson said it has also been ranked 50th in the nation of over 4,000 art displays.

In previous years over 70,000 people have taken part in the merriment over the course of a weekend, according to the East Lansing Art Festival website. Although no official statistics have been released for this year, picturesque weather conditions were expected to help boost this number.

Unfortunately, the festival was blighted for some by thefts late night Saturday and early morning Sunday. According to festival staff, ongoing attempts are being made to recover the stolen pieces and resolve the issue. Any information on this topic can be directed to the East Lansing Police Department. 

Check the print edition of The State News on Thursday for more on the thefts and the economic impact of the festival on East Lansing. 

Share and discuss “53rd Annual East Lansing Art Festival brings thousands to city” on social media.