Greek life celebrates annual Safe Halloween event

<p>From left to right, Lansing residents Nevaeh Evans, 6, and Roemen Evans, 10, trick-or-treat on Oct. 29, 2015 on MAC Avenue. Navaho and Roemen are participating in Safe Halloween, which is run by the City of East Lansing and allows children to trick-or-treat in a safe environment. </p>

From left to right, Lansing residents Nevaeh Evans, 6, and Roemen Evans, 10, trick-or-treat on Oct. 29, 2015 on MAC Avenue. Navaho and Roemen are participating in Safe Halloween, which is run by the City of East Lansing and allows children to trick-or-treat in a safe environment.

On Oct. 29, members of the greek community at MSU held their annual Safe Halloween event for the East Lansing community.

Safe Halloween is an annual event put on by fraternities and sororities on MAC avenue in order to provide a safe alternative for children in the East Lansing community.

Katherine Kuhne, the event director and journalism and political science senior, said there is often a negative stereotype surrounding Greek Life and hoped this event would help get rid of it. 

“Whenever anyone hears (the term) 'greek life,' they sometimes get a bad taste in their mouth about it and this event is trying to show people that not every single organization is like that we care about the community,” Kuhne said.

Attendees were able to participate in a variety of activities such as trick-or-treating, games, face painting and more.

Despite the weather, Kuhne said many families attended and she was happy with the turnout. 

“Our outcome was really good, we had a lot of kids come out and they’re all dressed up too which is so exciting,” Kuhne said.

Samantha Moody, director of external events and comparative culture and politics sophomore, said the Safe Halloween event took more than a month for the greek community to plan.

“We started in late September, and we had meetings twice a week that led up to the event,” Moody said.

The event was also put together to benefit charities like the HAWK Foundation. In order to benefit those charities, members of Greek Life found sponsors within the community to help them.

Share and discuss “Greek life celebrates annual Safe Halloween event ” on social media.