FINAL: Michigan State defeats Air Force, 35-21

<p>Defensive lineman Damon Knox, 93, celebrates with senior safety RJ Williamson, 26, after Williamson's touchdown in the first quarter during a game against Air Force on Sept. 19, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. Williamson scored on a 64-yard fumble return. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-21. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Defensive lineman Damon Knox, 93, celebrates with senior safety RJ Williamson, 26, after Williamson's touchdown in the first quarter during a game against Air Force on Sept. 19, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. Williamson scored on a 64-yard fumble return. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-21. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Welcome to the live coverage feed of MSU vs Air Force. Kickoff is set for 12:05, ask us questions, answer polls and watch out for pictures and videos that will give you a look into the stadium.

FINAL

In a game where MSU did not punt until 7:41 remaining in the third quarter, the Spartans defeated the Air Force Falcons 35 to 21 in Saturday's game at Spartan Stadium.

Senior wide receiver Aaron Burbridge had a career game, finishing with eight receptions for 156 yards and three touchdowns.

The Spartans boasted 324 total yards in the game.

The Air Force performance was hampered by seven penalties for 95 yards and three turnovers, one resulting in a touchdown. The Falcons had success running the ball, though, as they carried 51 times for 297 yards.

On the Spartans’ first drive, Burbridge and senior quarterback Connor Cook picked up where they left off in week two with a 15-yard first-down completion. The 4:11 drive was capped off by a 15-yard touchdown pass from Cook to junior tight end Josiah Price. The nine-play, 59-yard drive was the game’s first points, 7-0, MSU.

The Falcons’ complex rushing attack experienced problems early with a fumble on each of their first two drives. The second fumble, and first by Air Force junior running back D.J. Johnson, was forced by sophomore linebacker Shane Jones and recovered for a 64-yard return touchdown by senior safety RJ Williamson, making the score 14-0, MSU, with 6:31 remaining in the first quarter.

Aside from the Falcons’ poor ball control early, they were able to find brief success on outside carries and got their first score of the game on a drive extended by a MSU defensive holding penalty. Air Force sophomore running back Benton Washington ran in the touchdown from a yard out, bringing the score to 14-7, MSU. The 11-play drive covered 75 yards in 5:09.

In the second quarter, Cook was sacked for the first time all season on a drive where he carried the ball two times for 13 yards. The drive was capped off by a 28-yard highlight catch by Burbridge from Cook, making the score 21-7, MSU, with 10:40 remaining in the half.

MSU efficiently ran out the clock and finished the half with another Burbridge-Cook connection on a 32-yard touchdown pass, bringing the score to 28-7.

MSU started the second half much like the first, as Burbridge and Cook connected on another drive-sustaining 15-yard completion. And, again, the Burbridge-Cook connection was good for a MSU touchdown. The 21-yard pass capped off a 3:53, eight-play, 75-yard drive and brought the score to 35-7.

Air Force got its second score of the game on its second pass of the game, a play-action 38-yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Karson Roberts to junior wide receiver Jalen Robinette, making the score 35-14 with 8:38 remaining in the third quarter.

After MSU went three-and-out on the ensuing possession, the Falcons got the ball back, but fumbled yet again. This time, the recovery was made by freshman linebacker Andrew Dowell.

Air Force put together three more potential scoring drives in the fourth quarter, but a goal-line stop by MSU and a Williamson interception cut two of them short. The third, however, led to a Johnson touchdown with 2:11 remaining in the game. The two-yard rush brought the score to 35-21, MSU.

MSU will play Central Michigan University next Saturday at Spartan Stadium.

Live Blog MSU v. Air Force Live Coverage Feed

Share and discuss “FINAL: Michigan State defeats Air Force, 35-21” on social media.