Editorial: Internet campaign urges MSU fans not to boo Air Force

<p>Senior linebacker Connor Healy tackles a Navy ball carrier at Falcon Stadium, Oct. 4, 2014.</p>

Senior linebacker Connor Healy tackles a Navy ball carrier at Falcon Stadium, Oct. 4, 2014.

Photo by Photo courtesy of Team DMI | The State News

As the football teams prepare and fans tailgate before the 12:05 p.m. MSU-Air Force game today, a food-for-thought message has come to attention, as Saturday's game will be the first ever time the MSU football team will host a service academy.

The message is as follows:

"For those attending the MSU vs. Air Force game this weekend, a word of advice from Spartan Fund: 'Please let us remember that the team we are hosting are men destined to serve our country in its defense of our safety and interests. As MSU has never hosted a service academy before, remember not to BOO the Air Force team as they take the field. Also, when the game is over, please remain for a few minutes (a small sacrifice we can all make) and listen to the Air Force Alma Mater. They will be standing at attention while it is played. It is a sign of respect and class to stay for the playing of their Alma Mater.'"

Spartan Fund was not able to be reached on a call, but the message strikes a chord nonetheless. 

The men which will take the field for Air Force are the future guardians of U.S. citizens’ serenity. Although Air Force is the MSU opponent, a level of respect should be maintained while celebrating.

Please take these respectful reminders into consideration: do not boo the cadet-athletes, remain present after the game for a playing of the Air Force Alma Mater and represent the Spartans as a supporter for our troops.

Remember, a football game would not be possible if not for the servicemen/women of our country that provide us with the posterity of our families.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Internet campaign urges MSU fans not to boo Air Force” on social media.