Jazz lovers can see performances all over MSU next week

MSU’s College of Music is hosting the 35th annual Jazz Spectacular event later next week. The three day event beginning on the 16th features jazz performances, a swing dance and a concert.

This year’s performances are different than the past, as special guests Bobby and Roberto Carcassés will be joining musicians on stage, adding Latin influence to the festival.

Performances take place at multiple locations across MSU’s campus, such as Fairchild Theatre (April 16 and 18), Demonstration Hall Ballroom (April 17), and the MSU Union (April 18).

The Jazz Spectacular opens next Thursday with jazz faculty and graduate students conducting the Four Jazz Octets — an eight-piece ensemble that blends the sound of big band with small group performance.

Rodney Whitaker,  director of jazz studies, will then direct the MSU Jazz Orchestras on the April 17 at the MSU Demonstration Hall Ballroom. This performance will feature the guests of Bobby Carcassés and his son Roberto on piano.

Whitaker is a Detroit-raised jazz performer who currently teaches and directs at MSU. He will not only direct the Jazz Orchestras, but also direct the Wrap-up Concert the evening of April 18.

Tickets to each individual performance, excluding the Wrap-Up Concert, are free of charge for all current MSU students. Tickets for the Wrap-Up Concert can be purchased at the College of Music box office for $15 for students, online at www.music.msu.edu, or at the door an hour prior to the show.

Share and discuss “Jazz lovers can see performances all over MSU next week” on social media.