Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Matt Berry and Michael Ferrantino have sparked MSU hockey's offense

<p>Junior forward Michael Ferrantino runs the puck down the ice Oct. 31, 2014 during a game against Ferris State at Munn Ice Arena. The Bulldogs defeated the Spartans, 1-0. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Junior forward Michael Ferrantino runs the puck down the ice Oct. 31, 2014 during a game against Ferris State at Munn Ice Arena. The Bulldogs defeated the Spartans, 1-0. Erin Hampton/The State News

Not since the 2010-2011 season has an MSU hockey (5-8, 1-1 Big Ten) player scored more than 15 goals in an entire season. If a few current Spartans can keep up the pace they’ve set this season, MSU could have two players with more than 18 goals.

Junior forward Michael Ferrantino and senior forward Matt Berry have been off to a hot start early in this 2014-2015 campaign. Through 13 games, both players have amassed seven goals to go with five assists for Ferrantino and six for Berry.

“What’s important is that they maintain their level of productivity,” head coach Tom Anastos said. “It allows you the freedom to play a little freer, maybe take a few chances.”

Since Anastos arrived four seasons ago, the Spartans have had a tough time scoring goals. From the time when defenseman Torey Krug departed after Anastos’ first season, the Spartans have had trouble finding a consistent goal threat.

“What they’ve done to date has been a good body of work and I hope it continues to grow,” Anastos said. “They’re playing with confidence, they’re playing with a good level of consistency ... and that’s what usually comes first. The productivity comes after the level of consistency.”

Ferrantino was not necessarily thought of as a goal-scorer when Anastos had recruited him. Still, the junior captain has become more of an offensive threat every year that he’s been in East Lansing. After scoring three goals as a freshman, Ferrantino surprised many by netting nine goals in his sophomore campaign. With seven goals through less than a third of the season this year, Ferrantino should exceed that milestone.

While natural progression might be expected through the course of anyone’s career, Ferrantino thinks he knows what has allowed him to become more of goal scorer this season.

“Trying to get to the areas to score goals,” Ferrantino said of what’s been the difference this year. “Trying to get to the front of the net ... I worked on my skating this summer. It definitely helped me get to the areas I want to get to a little bit faster. But Matt Berry has had a great start too and I think that’s a big part of why I’m doing so well.”

Berry, on the other hand, was expected to be a goal-scorer when he was recruited to come to MSU. After scoring 11 goals as a freshman, Berry led the team in goals, assists and points his sophomore year with a 15-16-31 clip.

However, Berry is coming off a frustrating junior season. After undergoing offseason surgery, Berry was only able to appear in 23 games for the Spartans in the 2013-2014 season. Even so, he still contributed 10 goals and seven assists. Having a healthy, seasoned Berry for his entire senior year would be instrumental for an MSU team looking to take the next step.

Share and discuss “Matt Berry and Michael Ferrantino have sparked MSU hockey's offense ” on social media.