Monday, October 21, 2024

Izzo talks recruiting, trip to Super Bowl

<p>Football head coach Mark Dantonio, left, and head coach Tom Izzo talk before the game against Michigan on Jan. 25, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans lost to the Wolverines, 80-75. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Football head coach Mark Dantonio, left, and head coach Tom Izzo talk before the game against Michigan on Jan. 25, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans lost to the Wolverines, 80-75. Julia Nagy/The State News

Tom Izzo got a full tour of the Big Apple this weekend.

Following the No. 9 MSU men’s basketball team’s 64-60 loss to Georgetown at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Izzo watched as the Seahawks pummeled the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVII.

“I don’t know if it was as enjoyable as it was educational,” Izzo said. “I got out of that what I got out of going to our football game in Indy. Then, of course the (Super Bowl) wasn’t one of your better games. More like watching a baseball game, to be honest with you.”

The Spartans will prepare to host Penn State Thursday before traveling to Madison, Wis. for a showdown with Wisconsin Sunday afternoon.

Izzo will have more players to manage with the return of senior center Adreian Payne to the rotation. He said Payne went through a third of practice on Monday, but won’t play more than he’s able to.

“We’re going to have to re-learn how to play and that part of it is going to be hard,” Izzo said. “The Ohio State game, when we didn’t think he was going to play, he kind of showed that he can play through some pain and now he’s going to have to learn how to play through fatigue.”

Payne has missed the last seven games with a left foot injury, but has been riding a bike and swimming while on the sidelines. In 15 games this season, he has averaged 16.2 points and 7.7 rebounds.

One for the future

With National Signing Day for football on Wednesday, Izzo had his fare share of experience from the recruiting trail.

Izzo and head football coach Mark Dantonio are friends, but he said after winning the Rose Bowl, Dantonio doesn’t need any advice on the recruiting front.

“He’s kind of withstood the test of time and I’m sure he’ll handle it well,” Izzo said. “The bottom line comes down to, is your base good enough, and do you have enough guys around in your junior and senior classes that can help lead the younger, maybe more talented kids, if that’s what they end up with.”

The football program is on the verge of one of its best classes in some time, with players such as Craig Evans already committed after de-committing from Wisconsin, and more set to make their decisions today.

Izzo had his own recruiting trouble trying to convince Jabari Parker to join the Spartans last year.

In the end, Parker chose Duke, and Izzo was disappointed, but not because it was a shady deal.

“I’m not sure I got over it,” he said. “The Parker thing, because it was handled so well, it was just a big disappointment, but I wasn’t questioning the school. I wasn’t questioning the parents. We just lost out.”

Izzo knows it’s hard to get to the top, but it’s even harder to stay there and recruits can make a difference — but nothing is better than hard work.

“You’ve got to be who you are,” Izzo said.

Share and discuss “Izzo talks recruiting, trip to Super Bowl ” on social media.