Monday, September 23, 2024

Trial involving adoption laws in Michigan begins

The case involves adoption laws for same-sex couples in Michigan. In October 2013, Judge Bernard Friedman brought the issue of same-sex marriage to the fold.

From “we support traditional marriage” signs to handmade signs supporting equal rights, both sides of the debate were represented during the protest on Tuesday.

Inside the courthouse, DeBoer’s attorney Carole Stanyar began the morning with her remarks.

The prosecution is trying to prove children lead healthy childhoods in a family structure, no matter what gender the parents are. The concern for April DeBoer and Jayne Rowse stems from if one of them were to be hurt or injured, according to an op-ed DeBoer recently wrote in The Detroit Free Press, because according to Michigan law only a single person or married couple can adopt a child, and same-sex marriage is banned in Michigan.

The Hazel Park, Mich., couple both have adopted children to become a part of their family, three children in all.

Under current Michigan law, if one of the two parents were to die the child that the deceased parent adopted would become an orphan and not necessarily given to the other parent.

“Children suffer anxiety after losing a parent,” Stanyar said. “Children thrive when they are secure.”

Assistant Attorney General Kristin Heyse responded on behalf of the state of Michigan. The state is arguing that the issue of same-sex marriage was decided during a vote in 2004 that showed 59 percent of Michiganders did want to legalize s ame-sex marriage.

“It is easy to get caught up in the emotions of this, but the case is about one thing only, the will of the people,” she said. “The people of the state of Michigan have decided that a family is best raised by a man and women.”

The first day of testimony saw two witnesses testify. Dr. David Brodzinsky is a former professor of psychology at Rutgers University from 1974-2006. He had research interests in adoption and testified he has been an expert witness in adoption court cases many times. Professor Michael John Rosenfeld is an associa te professor at Stanford University wh o teaches sociology .

Brodzinsky testified that although the parenting styles are different for men and women the levels of ability are not.

“Mothers are usually more warm while fathers tend to be more playful and boisterous,” he said. “Those are differences in style, not co mpetence.”

In the field of sociology, a ccording to Rosenfeld, scholarly consensus is a rare occurrence. In the case of children being raised by same-sex couples Rosenfeld testified there is a consensus.

“The scholarly consensus is that kids who are raised by same-sex coupl es are at no disadvantage,” he said.

While the proceedings were going on inside, the protest was ongoing outside of the courthouse. Although the two sides are divided on one of the most hot button issues in America, today both sides said the protest remained peaceful.

Rex Evans of Free Will Baptist Church said his group, who is against same-sex marriage, was trying to execute their first amendment rights by orchestrating a peaceful protest.

“We kind of think of ourselves as God’s spokespeople,” he said. “We aren’t out here to cause problems, we love them like anyone else.”

The group planned to be outside of the courthouse every day of the trial. Judge Bernard Freeman has set aside eight days to go through the witnesses in the trial.

Evans said the group also supported the view of the defense, that the state already voted on the issue in 2004 and voted against same-sex marriage.

“The people have already voted,” he said. “We’re here to support that.”

Melissa Daley and her group, One Love St. Clair County, were an equally prideful, but smaller, group of protesters that support April DeBoer and the prosecution.

Daley is the president of the community support organization that aims to provide support for people who feel they need it. She married her partner in Washington D.C. but hopes their union might be recognized in Michigan.

“We believe people have the right to live the life of their choosing,” she said. “We believe you should be able to love who you love regardless of sex.”

Share and discuss “Trial involving adoption laws in Michigan begins” on social media.