Community Music School hosts open house

The MSU Community Music School opened its doors on Sunday, Jan. 20, allowing children and local community members to play the instruments and tour the studios.

People of all ages played instruments and learned about what the Community Music School, or CMS, has to offer at an open house on Sunday.

The event started off with several piano, violin and flute performances put on by CMS students.

Afterward, the school, which has been open for a year, was split into different rooms that focused on a variety of instruments.

Each room was filled with curious children eager to test out the instruments. Small children banged on drums, tooted the clarinets and played the pianos.

The school offers opportunities for all ages, said Jaime DeMott, director of CMS.

Various programs for music education and music therapy are available to the community at large.

There also are financial aid options for those who need it, she said.

“We have a program for everyone in the community,” DeMott said. “We offer services from birth to grave.”

CMS has a well-established music therapy program.

The music therapy program that is offered helps students reach their full potential, said Cindy Edgerton, director of music therapy at the school.

The music therapy program uses music to help teach non-musical goals and objectives to students, Edgerton said

“An individual has their own goals and objectives,” Edgerton said. “What are they here for? Do they want to improve speech or communication? What are the abilities? Let’s celebrate those abilities.”

The school also offers an opportunity for MSU students to get involved.

Students can teach lessons, work as interns and improve their own musical ability with a variety of instruments at the school.

Katharine Nunn, a music performance senior, is an intern at the CMS.

“I’m immersed in music, and that’s what I’m in school for,” Nunn said, adding that she helps at camps hosted by CMS. “That’s what I love.”

The CMS opened the doors at its current location in December 2012.

DeMott said the past year of operations went well and since the school is now on the general interactive campus map, more people have noticed its presence.

Share and discuss “Community Music School hosts open house” on social media.