Tuesday, October 22, 2024

MSU struggling early, leading Portland 36-32 at half

<p>Junior guard/forward Branden Dawson looks to pass during the game against Portland on Nov. 18, 2013, at Breslin Center. The Spartans are leading at the half, 36-32. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior guard/forward Branden Dawson looks to pass during the game against Portland on Nov. 18, 2013, at Breslin Center. The Spartans are leading at the half, 36-32. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

The seniors stole the show for the No. 1 MSU men’s basketball team as they lead Portland 36-32 at the break.

Senior guard Keith Appling led the way with 16 points, while senior center Adreian Payne chipped in with 10.

Portland got off to a hot start when they stole the opening tip and rolled it in for the first lead of the game.

The Pilots got another basket sandwiched in between 3-point baskets from sophomore guard Gary Harris and Appling.

The lead went back and forth until there was 14 minutes left in the game and MSU forced back-to-back turnovers.

Senior center Adreian Payne reenergized the Izzone when he scored eight straight points for the Spartans with ten minutes to play. He also had a massive block that was called for goal-tending later in the half.

But Portland kept it close the whole way led by Kevin Bailey with six points, and Volodymyr Gerun with seven rebounds.

As the clock wound closer to zero, Portland stood tough on the defensive end, and went on a 5-0 run to take the lead with just over three minutes to play.

MSU didn’t have a good half shooting, as they went 13-37 from the floor, including 7-18 from behind the arch.

Share and discuss “MSU struggling early, leading Portland 36-32 at half” on social media.