Monday, September 23, 2024

Influential journalism adviser, MSU alumnus passes away

If it wasn’t for Jeff Nardone, professional writing sophomore Emily Cervone would not have come to MSU.

The MSU alumnus, also the adviser for Grosse Pointe South High School’s weekly student newspaper “The Tower,” saw Cervone’s writing abilities when she was a staff writer for the paper and encouraged her to study at MSU.

“He was just so vibrant and passionate about not just teaching journalism, but life,” Cervone said. “I learned so much in that class — how to handle people, handling deadlines, just like a regular job.”

After a long-winded battle with T-cell lymphoma, Nardone died Sunday. He was 48 years old.

Along with encouraging potential journalism students at “The Tower,” Nardone also was an active member of the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association, or MIPA, housed at MSU. He was the organization’s president from 1994-1996, served on its board of directors twice and taught sports writing classes at MIPA’s summer journalism workshop annually.

Referred to as “Nard” by many of his students, Nardone was given the Golden Pen award by MIPA in 1998. The association annually gives the award to one adviser of a high school publication.

During her senior year, Cervone said she remembered seeing Nardone struggle with his illness. Although he was undergoing treatment, she said he remained lighthearted in the classroom.

“He was always in and out of the hospital,” she said. “His nurse would call us in class and he would just laugh it off.”

Nardone also remained hardworking and comedic throughout the two decades he spent at MIPA. Chad Sanders, director of the MIPA summer journalism workshop, said Nardone provided daily advice and comedic relief.

“He was somebody I would go to for advice, someone who I respected,” Sanders said. “He always had some sort of funny comment for me … he was always laughing.”

Although he became known for his humor, many of Nardone’s students said he held high standards for their work. Sanders said he would not settle for poor-quality work and encouraged students to rise to their potential.

Psychology freshman Tori Taylor learned about Nardone’s discipline firsthand as a page editor for “The Tower.” Although she and Nardone disagreed at times, Taylor said he always let her know he was proud of her work.

“Nard was tough,” Taylor said. “He demanded the best from each and every one of his students. If you didn’t put 100 percent effort into all of your work, he knew and had no shame calling you out on it.”

To remember Nardone’s time at MIPA, the organization has set up a scholarship in his honor for its summer journalism camp. Sanders said the scholarship will give students the opportunity to take the sportswriting class Nardone once taught.

“It’s the perfect way to honor Jeff,” Sanders said. “He even taught last summer, right after a pretty intense round of treatment. He was in remission, feeling better, and he was there teaching the kids, which was what he loved.”

Share and discuss “Influential journalism adviser, MSU alumnus passes away” on social media.