Sunday, October 20, 2024

After starting season in doubt, receivers are now in spotlight

<p>Junior wide receiver Tony Lippett makes a catch during the game against Nebraska on Nov. 16, 2013, at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb. The Spartans defeated the Cornhuskers, 41-28. Khoa Nguyen/The State News</p>

Junior wide receiver Tony Lippett makes a catch during the game against Nebraska on Nov. 16, 2013, at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb. The Spartans defeated the Cornhuskers, 41-28. Khoa Nguyen/The State News

More than once, MSU head coach Mark Dantonio mentioned the evolution of the outside perception of his now-Big Ten championship contending team at his Tuesday press conference.

He recalled a September filled with skepticism of an unproven offense and an October in which potential turned into production, then he transitioned to November, when the Spartans established themselves as a complete team.

No position group embodies that transformation in confidence and performance more than the wide receivers. From the beginning of the year when they struggled to with consistency and hanging on to passes, the receivers have developed confidence and chemistry with sophomore quarterback Connor Cook through the course of the season. It’s a renaissance led by veterans Bennie Fowler, a senior, and junior Tony Lippett.

Since the Oct. 12 win against Indiana, Lippett and Fowler have combined for four touchdowns and 427 receiving yards – about 43 percent of MSU’s passing production during that stretch – while emerging as Cook’s favorite targets.

“I think (confidence) builds when you see Tony Lippett and Bennie Fowler and how those guys are playing right now,” quarterbacks coach Brad Salem said. “They’ve got a little bit of an edge to them. You want your guys to play confident. I think the reality is you need results to have that happen, and we have (them).”

Another weapon should soon be at Cook’s disposal as sophomore Aaron Burbridge makes his way back to the field after suffering an injury in the Purdue game. Burbridge, who was named to the preseason watch list for the Biletnikoff Award given the nation’s top receiver, hasn’t had a reception since that matchup with the Hoosiers. But with older players stepping up in recent weeks, his absence hasn’t been critical.

“Last week (Burbridge) was healthy, I think full?time for the first time in probably three weeks,” Dantonio said. “(He) needs to catch the ball a little bit better. Tony Lippett is catching the football; (I’m) not going to pull him out. You have to find your way back into the mix, which he will. He will just add another piece to what has become the strength on our football team.”

Earlier this season, Lippett talked about refocusing and taking his game to new heights following a sit-down with coaches during the first bye week. He said clearing mental hurdles early in the year was what kept he and his teammates from breaking out the way they have in the season’s second half.

“I don’t know. I don’t think we’re a strength yet,” Lippett said.

“We’re still striving to keep making plays, continuing to make plays, continue to find little things where we can make plays — that’s blocking, catching, running down on kickoff. Whatever it is, we’re just trying to find any way we can make plays and we’re confident we can do it.”

Share and discuss “After starting season in doubt, receivers are now in spotlight” on social media.