Monday, September 23, 2024

Man believed to be MSU student killed in traffic crash Thursday night

A 21-year-old man believed to be an MSU student from Hartland, Wis. was killed in a traffic crash Thursday night in Allegan County near Saugatuck, Mich., Michigan State police confirmed.

According to a statement from Michigan State Police’s Wayland post, applied engineering sciences senior Jared Kavinsky lost control of his black Honda while driving southbound on I-196 at about 8 p.m. Thursday, striking the median cable barrier just north of Blue Star Highway.

Another motorist, 62-year-old Terrence Noone, stopped to assist Kavinsky when the two were struck by 26-year-old Joseph Willard, who lost control of his Chevrolet Impala. Kavinsky and Noone were pronounced dead at the scene.

Willard sustained serious injuries and was transported to a nearby hospital. His vehicle also struck Kavinsky’s.

Michigan State Police’s statement said the roadways were wet and slushy at the time of the collision.

Psychology senior Michelle Rizor, a close friend of Kavinsky’s, said he was expecting to graduate from MSU in December.

Share and discuss “Man believed to be MSU student killed in traffic crash Thursday night” on social media.