Saturday, May 4, 2024

Face Time: East Lansing City Council candidate Joanna Bosse

Editor’s note: This is the sixth and final installment of a semi-weekly series profiling East Lansing City Council candidates prior to the Nov. 5 election.

MSU assistant professor Joanna Bosse has lived in many university towns, but said she’s experienced the most animosity between students and residents during her time in East Lansing. By running for the East Lansing City Council this fall, she hopes to use her experience interacting with both constituencies to help bridge the gap between town and gown.

Bosse teaches music classes related to culture at the university. She has been teaching at MSU for six years after teaching at other universities across the country.

Born in Findlay, Ohio, Bosse received her bachelor’s degree from Houghton College in Western New York. She later attended MSU and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to obtain her master’s and doctorate.

Bosse recently sat down with The State News to discuss her candidacy.

JB: “I’m interested in thinking about the process. I’m very supportive of an inclusive process that gathers input. I think it is an exciting project; I think it could be a signature project for East Lansing. I like the charrette process for getting as many voices involved as possible. That’s what I’m most interested in.”

JB: “I think we need to send a very clear message to restauranteurs and entrepreneurs that East Lansing is a great place to do business. We could be the best place in the nation to do business. I think we need to ensure that our downtown is a vibrant hub for students, but also for young adults and professionals. I think that means we need to have great places to eat and drink, not just for students but for all walks of life.”

JB: “I think a really important thing we need to consider right now is the affordability of living in East Lansing. East Lansing taxes are high for the nation, not just the region. I’ve seen a number of small families, once they have two kids, buy a house that will hold them, but it becomes too expensive in terms of real estate taxes, so they move to Okemos or neighboring towns where they can get twice the house for half the taxes.”

MSU

JB: “I think being committed to that partnership is an essential piece. I don’t think we are all committed to doing that yet. I spend my life in that gap. I am a faculty member who has committed my life to students, but I also live two blocks from campus and two houses away from a rental. I live my life in that zone between university students and residents. … I think I’m invested in the idea of collaboration between the city and MSU students. I think we need to embrace MSU as an economic engine and students as an important part of our community. I think we need to work with MSU students and get them to know East Lansing residents. I’ve lived in a number of college towns, and I’ve never lived in one with this kind of animosity between the constituencies. So I’ve seen it work, and I think it can work.”

Share and discuss “Face Time: East Lansing City Council candidate Joanna Bosse” on social media.