Monday, September 23, 2024

City hosts Avondale Square Housing Fair

<p>Board member of the Hometown Housing Partnership Mark Meadows, left, shows off a house to Lansing resident Eric Tans on Oct. 22, 2013, at the Avondale Square housing fair. Hometown Housing Partnership develops and sells affordable houses in East Lansing, such as the houses in Avondale Square on Virginia Avenue. Margaux Forster/The State News</p>

Board member of the Hometown Housing Partnership Mark Meadows, left, shows off a house to Lansing resident Eric Tans on Oct. 22, 2013, at the Avondale Square housing fair. Hometown Housing Partnership develops and sells affordable houses in East Lansing, such as the houses in Avondale Square on Virginia Avenue. Margaux Forster/The State News

Prospective East Lansing homebuyers were provided with an abundance of information on home rehabilitation, financing opportunities, assistance programs for income-qualified households and more at the Avondale Square Housing Fair on Tuesday.

East Lansing officials, members of the Hometown Housing Partnership and representatives of Mayberry Homes hosted the event along the 600 block of Virginia Avenue. Representatives from these organizations, along with Summit Bank, the Michigan State Housing Development Authority and the Center for Financial Health were gathered under a white tent on-location in an attempt to sell available homes in the development.

Avondale Square a development designed by the city and Mayberry Homes that is set to hold 26 single-family homes when complete. There are seven houses currently on the market for low-income homebuyers, but Community Development Specialist and event coordinator for the project Amy Schluser said that she hopes to have ten of them ready by the time the project is finished.

The program suffered during the economic housing crisis several years ago, but Schluser said that things seem to be turning around for the better.

“I believe that the housing crisis did affect the program at first,” she said. “But sales have increased. We’ve been able to construct and sell five new houses.”

The houses start at $150,000, but those who are eligible can receive up to $25,000 in loans. The sizes of the houses all vary, beginning at around 1,000 square ft.

“I’m hoping to see the project completed within the next few years,” she said. “I want to see people become more educated about the project, which could aid in additional home sales, and bring more people to this close-knit neighborhood.”

Schluser plans on having another housing fair in the spring.

“Our targets are any and all,” said Mikki Droste, executive director of the Hometown Housing Project. “I’m hoping that people will be buying that didn’t think they’d be able to before.”

Those in attendance had a chance to tour two of the homes on Virginia Avenue, providing them with a clearer picture of what their potential future homes could look like on the inside. Both houses were two stories with finished basements, along with a few other customizations.

Michael Sawyer-Todd, a resident of the Avondale Square development, said he and his husband are living in a home that they’d be comfortable in forever.

“My husband, William, and I have lived in this house for five years,” he said. “We specifically wanted East Lansing … We love the diversity here, and it’s very welcoming to the LGBT community.”

Share and discuss “City hosts Avondale Square Housing Fair” on social media.