Sunday, October 20, 2024

Key linebacker positions will open in 2014 season

<p>Eastern Michigan tight end Garrett Hoskins goes upside down with then-junior linebacker Max Bullough by his side. <span class="caps">MSU</span> defeated the Eastern Michigan, 23-7, on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 at Spartan Stadium. State News File Photo </p>

Eastern Michigan tight end Garrett Hoskins goes upside down with then-junior linebacker Max Bullough by his side. MSU defeated the Eastern Michigan, 23-7, on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 at Spartan Stadium. State News File Photo

For the past couple of years, MSU defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi has molded one of the best football defenses in the nation.

However, with linebackers Max Bullough and Denicos Allen departing at the end of the 2013-14 season, the defense will see new faces in the backfield in the following season.

The new starting roles will need to be addressed after redshirt freshman linebacker Riley Bullough unexpectedly was moved to tailback during the spring. Riley Bullough is slated to remain at tailback going into the fall.

This leaves many question marks as to who is going to backup and fill Bullough and Allen’s vacant positions in the 2014 season.

With several redshirt linebackers on the team, Dantonio said the position is one of depth, which allows flexibility heading into the season.

“When you redshirt players, that means you have depth and experience in that particular position,” Dantonio said. “I don’t know if that will be the case this year with how things are shaking out.”

Incoming freshman linebacker Jon Reschke from Brother Rice in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and Cincinnati transfer Shane Jones are potential candidates to back up Max Bullough and Allen.

Head coach Mark Dantonio said in a media roundtable it will be easier to assess the players after summer workouts. The experience Reschke and Jones will gain under Bullough, Allen and Narduzzi could lead the incoming players to becoming key contributors.

“We don’t like to back up a senior with a senior,” Dantonio said. “That means that Shane Jones or Jon Reschke is the backup. They get in the mix to be a part of this.”

Max Bullough was a first-team All-Big Ten selection by coaches in 2012 and was named a player to watch in the Big Ten in 2013 by SI.com. Allen is going into his third season starting at Sam linebacker and has started 26 consecutive games.

“(They) have the opportunity to play with two very, very good players — probably the best two linebackers in their respected states,” Dantonio said.

Share and discuss “Key linebacker positions will open in 2014 season” on social media.