Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Chili vendors compete in 18th chili cook-off in Lansing

<p><span class="caps">MSU</span> alumna Ashley Somers, left, and studio art senior Charlotte Grenier hand out chili May 31, 2013, at the Gallery at Snyder and Phillips halls tent at the 18th Annual <span class="caps">BWL</span> Chili Cook-Off at the Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing. Mardi Gras was the theme for this year&#8217;s event. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

MSU alumna Ashley Somers, left, and studio art senior Charlotte Grenier hand out chili May 31, 2013, at the Gallery at Snyder and Phillips halls tent at the 18th Annual BWL Chili Cook-Off at the Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing. Mardi Gras was the theme for this year’s event. Julia Nagy/The State News

The Lansing Board of Water and Light entertained and filled the bellies of thousands at its 18th annual chili cook-off Friday, bringing back several traditions and creating new ones.

Twenty-nine chili vendors scooped spicy concoctions in hopes of winning the golden ladle awards that ranged from Best Salsa to Mo’ Hotter, Mo’ Better, Hottest Chili.

Lines of people stretched across the park from every booth, with the crowd totaling about 7,000, said Stephen Serkaian, director of communications at Lansing Board of Water and Light, or BWL.

There was food aplenty — about 40 additional vendors supplied everything from refreshments to ice cream, Serkaian said. And Olympic Broil, 1320 N. Grand River Ave., in Lansing, hosted the cook-off’s first chili dog eating contest.

“It’s not going to be pretty,” Calvin Jones, BWL chili cook-off chairman, said before the competition. “It’s going to be messy and slobbish — the way it was intended to be.”

Mac D from Q106 radio station scarfed a total of six chili dogs in four minutes, winning the contest.

Other events did not require an iron stomach, including the Duck Derby, a rubber duck race down the Grand River where people bet on winners, and a mechanical bull.

But Lansing resident Eric Robins was eager to test the flaming chilis.

“I’m on the trail of the hottest chili, and this is pretty hot,” Robins said, pointing to his chili from the Liquid Web booth. “It’s coming over me now. It’s hot.”

This year’s theme was Mardi Gras, with the chili booths and participants draped in beads. Jones said the event kicks off the summer season with a bang.

“This is rain or shine,” Jones said. “We’re going to have this party even if it means an intermission.”

Proceeds from the event benefit the H.O.P.E. Scholarship Program, the Sparrow Foundation and Impression 5 Science Center, which is reallocating its portion to Adopt A River, Serkaian said.

Appearances by Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero and radio personality Tim Barron were made, and three live bands played.

“Stuff like this is what makes Lansing cool and fun,” Robins said.

MSU’s Gallery at Snyder and Phillips halls contended to take home a few golden ladles with its Black Magic Bean Chili, Veggie Soul and Juju Fruit Salsa, but earned a silver ladle for Best Salsa.

“(We) want to make sure the community gets a taste,” Eric Batten, executive chef at the Gallery, said.

Batten said before the event that they would like to make a clean sweep of the golden ladles, but were OK with any of them.

“We do what tastes right and tastes good,” Batten said. “We just like to have fun and produce quality food ­— bottom line.”

Share and discuss “Chili vendors compete in 18th chili cook-off in Lansing” on social media.