Sunday, October 20, 2024

Big Ten reaches agreements with Holiday Bowl, Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl

The Big Ten and Pac-12 conferences announced they have reached a six-year agreement with the Holiday Bowl and Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. The deal will begin in 2014 and end in 2019.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said the agreements will provide freshness for players, coaches and the bowl community.

“Our goal was initially to create a national slate, and we feel we’ve taken another step in that and to broaden the group of opponents that we are playing,” Delany said.

The Holiday Bowl is played in San Diego, and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl will be played in the new 68,500-seat Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.

“These games provide our teams great opportunities in a great part of the country — an area rich with Big Ten alums,” Delany said.

Delany said that the Holiday Bowl will be a top-tier bowl and the Fight Hunger Bowl will be a middle-tier bowl.

According to Delany, the process selection and approval by each bowl is subject to series of parameters; however, the tiers don’t matter as much as an emphasis on keeping it fresh.

“We’re really going to want different teams in different bowls,” Delany said. “(It’s) also counterproductive to send teams to the same regions or the same bowls in consecutive or 4 times out of 5 years. So in each of these areas we are going to be focused on moving teams.”

Delany spoke about the Big Ten having the largest alumni basis in the country, and how they will travel to bowl games on the West Coast.

“We’re fortunate in that all these are fantastic destinations to world-class cities with opponents coming from world-class conferences — together that will produce great bowl matchups,” Delany said.

In addition, the Pinstripe Bowl and the ACC have agreed to a six-year deal in which the ACC will regularly play the Big Ten starting in 2014.

The Pinstripe Bowl is played at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx and will further diversify bowl play for the Big Ten.

Share and discuss “Big Ten reaches agreements with Holiday Bowl, Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl” on social media.