Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Spencer's adds new dimensions to traditional deli

Owner Spencer Soka seeks to bring Detroit-style Deli cuisine to East Lansing with Spencer’s Kitchen. Driven to provide exemplary service with fresh food, Soka is hoping to strike it big with students and community members alike.

Serving Detroit deli-style cuisine with an East Lansing twist, Spencer’s Kitchen, 313 E. Grand River Ave., is the newest addition to the up-and-coming restaurant scene. Formerly known as Stateside Deli, owner and East Lansing resident Spencer Soka, 33, believes he and his team have found a gap in the market and pounced on providing students and community members with a broad range of freshly cooked homemade meals.

Spencer’s represents far more than a name change, according to Soka. While the menu remains stocked with deli favorites such as The Famous — a coleslaw and swiss sandwich with a half pound of corned beef — additions such as burgers, salads and fresh-cut fries offer something for every palate. Soka believes these changes ultimately will land his restaurant a prominent spot in East Lansing’s evolving culinary scene.

“What I’m hoping to bring is the best of both worlds,” Soka said. “We have burgers that are definitely the best in East Lansing,” he added confidently.

The menu isn’t the only new thing about Spencer’s, as freshly painted walls mounted with flat-screen televisions overlook the fully remodeled dinning room. New counters, wood-topped tables and a walk-in refrigerator have helped Spencer’s feel like a new beginning, Soka said.

With a lifetime of experience working in restaurants, first within his father’s pizzeria and eventually branching out into owning various eateries across the state, Soka said his newest project will leave customers hungry for more.

“The difference with us: it isn’t all fried,” he said. “Everything is homemade, so that’s going to differentiate (Spencer’s) from the competition.”

Kitchen Manager and East Lansing resident Branden Bedes, 27, said working at Spencer’s has allowed him a great deal of freedom to cook food that customers enjoy.

While the burgers were expected to sell well, Bedes said the salads and Philly steak sandwiches have kept him busy around the kitchen.

Brieanna Finn, an MSU alumna, said she loved Stateside and waited anxiously for the relaunch of Spencer’s.

“(Spencer’s is) something different, definitely a deli feel, relaxed atmosphere and it feels really welcoming.”

With a small team of employees, Soka often is seen running around, answering phones, greeting customers and ensuring orders are accurate. While business has slowed with students departing MSU, Soka has been hard at work, collaborating individually with businesses and members of the East Lansing community to get the word out about Spencers. Whether customers want to sit down, order food to go, have catering or even delivery, Soka said his business will fill every possible customer need.

He hopes providing customers with personable service will lead to repeat business. Soka also said he is seeking to obtain a liquor license by the end of July to add another dimension to the restaurant.

“I believe customer service is a huge deal,” Soka said. “That is one thing that I will make sure we do, never letting a customer go unnoticed.”

Share and discuss “Spencer's adds new dimensions to traditional deli” on social media.