Tuesday, September 24, 2024

MSU teams up with Pure Michigan

In effort to help boost Michigan’s economy, MSU has decided to team up with Pure Michigan and embrace in-state products.

The Michigan Economic Development Corporation, or MEDC, has been looking for the perfect candidates to give Michigan businesses a boost.

Through the Pure Michigan Business Connect, brought forward by Gov. Rick Snyder at the Mackinac Policy Conference in 2011, MEDC seeks to bring growth to Michigan-made businesses through large buyers. Ever since the establishment of MSU’s Facility for Rare Isotope Beams, Vince Nystrom, MEDC’s vice president of strategic accounts, said he knew the university would be the ideal candidate for the job.

“We work with (businesses) on purchasing opportunities with other Michigan vendors and enabling those connections, and we celebrate the significant action that Michigan State already has with suppliers all over the state of Michigan,” Nystrom said. “The economic impact of the school is unbelievable.”

Along with companies such as DTE Energy, Chrysler Group LLC and Ford Motor Company, MSU has pledged to focus at least half of its purchasing on Michigan companies. In 2012, MSU spent about $396 million on Michigan-made products.

Erica Donerson, a spokeswoman for DTE Energy, said the company has pledged to shift $750 million to Michigan-based suppliers in increments within five years. The company began in 2011 with $597 million, and plans reach $625 million by the end of 2013.

“By increasing our involvement and commitment to Michigan businesses, we’re expanding our horizons and becoming more aware of some great Michigan businesses that in the past we might not have been aware of,” Donerson said. “We’re discovering new businesses here in our own backyard.”

Dan McCole, a professor of commercial recreation and tourism at MSU, said the initiative will encourage business through the Pure Michigan campaign, rather than encouraging tourism.

“When (people) hear Pure Michigan, they think tourism,” McCole said. “Governor Snyder came in and wanted to use the Pure Michigan campaign for economic development to bring attention to growing businesses in the state. It has nothing to do with tourism.”

Nystrom said the reward of the initiative will reach not only businesses, but buyers and MEDC as well.

“Any dollar we increase spending inside the state of Michigan is giving back, and it’s a win-win for everyone,” he said. “We’re keeping the connectivity between Michigan suppliers, and they’re able to tap into the resources that we bring.”

Instead of focusing on cheaper labor and products, McCole said the initiative will focus on in-state quality as opposed to quantity.

“Rather than going for the lowest bidder, they’re giving preference to Michigan bidders,” he said.

Share and discuss “MSU teams up with Pure Michigan” on social media.