Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Students concerned with controversial forestry bill

MSU students banded together Thursday to speak with a Michigan lawmaker about a controversial forestry conservation bill passed in the state Senate earlier this month.

State Sen. Tom Casperson, R-Escanaba, introduced a bill amending a 1994 law identifying which lands are considered protected under biological diversity conservation. A group of about 10 students spoke with the senator via a conference call Thursday afternoon to question amendments to the bill.

“A couple of the things that I think gets students upset … is in part redefining what it means to conserve biological diversity,” said Larry Leefers, associate professor in the Department of Forestry.

Under the new bill, “conservation of biological diversity” refers to efforts taken to enhance, manage or maintain biological diversity while making sure the natural resources in the area are accessible in the future.

Sahar Haghighat, a graduate student in the Department of Forestry, said during the call she felt the issue was split between two interests ­— the wood product industry side and the science and academics side.

Haghighat suggested a silviculturist — a forest manager — might be able to look at both interests and identify what is best for specific areas of land.

However, Casperson said during the call the drive behind introducing the bill is for recreational use of Michigan’s land. He said when areas are designated for conservation of biological diversity, lovers of the outdoors looking to enjoy the area have less access.

Haghighat said those areas must be protected from invasive species traveling on anything from deer to a hiker.

The bill prohibits a department, director or commission from enforcing a rule designating land for maintaining biological diversity, leaving the decisions to Michigan lawmakers, Leefers said.

Casperson said humans have caused problems with conservation efforts, but he doesn’t believe people are the entire problem.

Zoology graduate student Nicholis Ingle, who helped organize the meeting, said although he felt the conversation was too polarized because everyone involved is passionate about the issue, he was happy to hear the senator hopes to meet with the students in person.

“I kind of just wanted the conversation to happen, I wanted both sides to be talking and I wanted to learn what he was thinking and what his thought process was,” Ingle said.

The bill passed the Senate with a 37-26 vote March 5. It is being discussed by the House Committee on Natural Resources.

Share and discuss “Students concerned with controversial forestry bill” on social media.