Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Spring break crimes include burglaries, drinks, drugs

While many students enjoyed warm beaches and rested with family during spring break, homes were broken into in East Lansing, and a number of drunken driving and drug-related incidents took place on campus.

East Lansing crime
On both weekends of spring break, East Lansing police received calls concerning 17 different crimes — most of them from robberies from either homes or other buildings.

Three assaults were recorded from March 1-10, according to CrimeMapping.com.

East Lansing police Capt. Jeff Murphy said in an email he still is collecting information on home invasions during the break, but four are reported to have taken place last weekend.

In a previous interview, Murphy said it can take several days following the end of a school break to determine the full number of break-ins that occurred as students are still are returning.

MSU crime
So far, MSU police have not yet seen a large number of break-ins recorded from last week.

There were no reported home invasions on campus by press time Monday, according to the MSU Clery Crime and Fire Log. About four larcenies, seven incidents of drunken driving and seven incidents involving marijuana, other drugs or narcotic equipment were reported in the log.

MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said police might have been more likely to spot drunken driving and drug-involved incidents because there were fewer students and fewer cars on the road.

In the entire month of February, there were about 20 incidents involving illegal substances and about 20 incidents of drunken driving, according to the crime log.

MSU and East Lansing saw a total of about 30 break-ins and larcenies — or robberies from property, vehicles or buildings — during winter break. Last spring break, an armed robbery took place in Spartan Village and there was an attempted mugging in East Lansing.

She said if students find their homes or dorm rooms were broken into, they should contact police immediately.

“I would ask them not to touch anything in case we can get fingerprints,” McGlothian-Taylor said. “The longer (students) wait, the less likely we are to have any leads.”

Alleged robbers arrested
Four males between 17 and 18 years old and one juvenile were identified as suspects in a string of armed robberies in Cedar Village and the East Lansing Bailey Neighborhood on Feb. 17, according to an East Lansing police press release.

On March 1, four of the five suspects in the case were charged separately with five counts of unarmed robbery, one count of assault with intent to rob, one count of home invasion and one count conspiracy.

The juvenile is expected to be charged at a later date.

I-96 shooter
Alleged I-96 shooter and MSU alumnus Raulie Casteel, charged with reportedly going on a 24-incident shooting spree along the I-96 corridor, waived his right to a preliminary examination March 1, according to media reports.

Although judges deemed him competent to stand trial, his lawyers said he has a delusional disorder, according to reports.

His case was bound over to Oakland County Circuit Court and an arraignment and pretrial are scheduled for March 14.

Share and discuss “Spring break crimes include burglaries, drinks, drugs” on social media.