Friday, September 20, 2024

Online programs offer lifelong education options

Wikipedia, YouTube and a host of how-to sites have long provided free, accessible information on nearly every topic imaginable. For independent learners of a more academic bent, services such as Coursera, Udacity and iTunes U, provide high-caliber courses from distinguished instructors. Now, another niche in the world of online education is being filled.

For those looking for detailed, comprehensive instruction in traditionally non-academic fields, two companies are here to help. CreativeLIVE.com and Lynda.com offer intensive video lecture courses for relatively inexpensive rates. CreativeLIVE’s offerings focus on photography and creative design, whereas Lynda concentrates on software development, business and design.

The course offerings are rather specific ­— creativeLIVE customers can take classes in “Advance Retouching Techniques” and “Yoga for Photographers.” Lynda offers tutorials for specific software programs, including Photoshop, Office 2013 and InDesign, as well as topical lectures by respected software and design professionals. This specificity is part of the appeal — such detailed information cannot be easily accessed elsewhere.

Unlike other sources of online education, creativeLIVE and Lynda charge for their services.

CreativeLIVE allows viewers to watch live streams of lectures for free, but charges between $29 and $249 to access replays of the courses. Lynda.com charges a membership fee — $25 monthly or $250 a year — for access to its lecture database. These fees might discourage casual use, but remain far lower than the costs of college courses or in-person workshops.

These two services are valuable additions to the already rich field of low-cost educational products. Independent learners have greater access to information now than ever before, and it is important to be aware of all available resources. Companies such as these allow driven individuals to hone their skills with the benefit of professional instruction.

The flexibility of this new format is one of its greatest advantages. What might once have been only a casual hobby now can become a marketable skill, without having to invest years in technical school. Aspiring students of photography can retain paying jobs while learning the finer aspects of the craft. Curious office workers can become proficient with new software, growing their skill sets. Extracurricular activities now can become new lines on a resume, bolstered by professional in-depth development.

Of course, all these programs only work when utilized by passionate, determined individuals. The best course in the world, regardless of format, does not teach on its own. The impetus falls to the student. And these services cannot serve as effective substitutes for traditional higher education. They do not match the rigor and structure of the collegiate system.

The services offered by online educational companies blur the definition of a student. Education is not constrained to campus or classroom. These offerings enable lifelong education and rigorous pursuit of one’s interests.

They are well worth taking advantage of.

Share and discuss “Online programs offer lifelong education options” on social media.