Tuesday, October 22, 2024

One time Spartan, Crusader torn about NCAA matchup

<p>Then-redshirt senior guard Brandon Wood and then-freshman guard Branden Dawson laugh as they walk off the court following the first half of the Nebraska-Omaha game, Dec. 4, 2011 at Breslin Center. State News File Photo</p>

Then-redshirt senior guard Brandon Wood and then-freshman guard Branden Dawson laugh as they walk off the court following the first half of the Nebraska-Omaha game, Dec. 4, 2011 at Breslin Center. State News File Photo

Go ahead and ask Brandon Wood who he’s rooting for — at this point, nearly everyone else has.

As the MSU men’s basketball team (25-8) prepares to kick off its opening game of the NCAA Tournament at 12:15 p.m. Thursday against Valparaiso (26-7) at The Palace of Auburn Hills, in Auburn Hills, Mich., an interesting dilemma is brewing for Wood — a former student-athlete at both schools and friends of players on each side.

Wood played two seasons at Valpo, earning All-Horizon League honors, before using a graduate transfer to join the Spartans last season. Once at MSU, Wood played a supporting role on a team that won a share of the Big Ten championship and made an appearance in the Sweet 16.

After being posed the question once more, Wood insists there’s no rooting interest for either side, just a desire to see both teams do well.

“I’m just looking forward to seeing a game where I can cheer for every single play, no matter what happens,” Wood said. “I’m proud of all my little brothers for making it this far, and I’m just looking for a good game.”

Wood had the opportunity to play with many of the Crusader’s key contributors. He said he’s talked with players on both sides, such as junior guard Keith Appling and senior center Derrick Nix.

Sophomore guard Travis Trice said Wood has been in touch with him and others for much of the season after the team grew close with Wood last year. Trice jokingly suggested Wood “definitely” will be root for the Spartans.

“We’ve talked throughout the year, and he’s (saying), ‘Keep doing what you’re doing, you guys are good,’ and how proud he is of us,” Trice said. “He asks how we’re doing and how he left here, it was like he’s a part of our family now.”

Now playing for Albacomp-UPC based out of Székesfehérvár, Hungary, Wood is averaging a team-high 19.5 points along with 3.3 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game. Albacomp won its regular season championship and is battling for postseason position, which starts next month.

With the opportunity to play more minutes in a different system, Wood has thrived by trying to model his game after his favorite player, Los Angeles Lakers’ guard Kobe Bryant.

“From the first time I got here, the people have accepted me to their team into their community, and I’ve had a chance to meet a lot of people,” Wood said. “It’s hard to get to know a lot of people because of the language barrier, but it’s been nothing but love and I’ve had no problems since I’ve been here.”

Wood tried to book a flight home in to be a part of the action between his two former schools, but he’ll have to settle for watching the game at his apartment in Hungary.

As far as his rooting interest, it’s as up-in-the air to Wood’s former teammates as it is to him.

“I don’t know — that’s a good question,” Nix said. “He probably will root for us, but I don’t even know. That’s funny.”

Share and discuss “One time Spartan, Crusader torn about NCAA matchup” on social media.